January 2020 Bus Service Changes

You could run X1's and X10's every five minutes on the time table but the problems start when they don't turn up. If the new time tables are adhered to great. If they come as periodically as now then what has been achieved?  

They should all have trackers that work on them and reductions in salary for managers if the time tables are not accurate.  

10 hours ago, craigmason said:

As a disabled passenger i have a bus pass that i am restricted to i cannot use it before 9.30am so if i have to travel before that time i just pay it don't see i problem with doing that  if you look on council website it says 

Free bus travel

Gold Card allows you to travel free, off-peak on local buses throughout the whole of England, after 9:30am up to 11pm weekdays and at any time during weekends and bank holidays.

Mobility (disabled) passes are not time restricted, at least in South Yorkshire. 

12 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

One of the problems is that a lot of pensioners seem to think they have paid into a savings scheme that they can now draw from. The problem is it couldnt be further from the truth. What they have paid for was the travel concessions at that time.  Those concessions were a lot less generous than those in force now and those are being funded by the current working population and its costing a lot of money

Unfortunately if something doesn't change and soon there won't be a public transport system for them to ride for free on.

Some pensioners think that their bus pass entitles them to a lot more than free travel too. I've personally witnessed one oap walk past ~40 queueing passengers to the front of the queue when the bus pulled into the stand & when challenged stated "I'm allowed, I've got a bus pass" as though it also gave them priority boarding. 

On a separate occasion I witnessed one oap chastise an already seated passenger for not moving from "their seat" & "seats at the front of the bus are for people with passes.".

The seated passenger in question had a thigh length plaster-cast & crutches. 

On 12/01/2020 at 21:52, Resident said:

Unfortunately if something doesn't change and soon there won't be a public transport system for them to ride for free on.

Some pensioners think that their bus pass entitles them to a lot more than free travel too. I've personally witnessed one oap walk past ~40 queueing passengers to the front of the queue when the bus pulled into the stand & when challenged stated "I'm allowed, I've got a bus pass" as though it also gave them priority boarding. 

On a separate occasion I witnessed one oap chastise an already seated passenger for not moving from "their seat" & "seats at the front of the bus are for people with passes.".

The seated passenger in question had a thigh length plaster-cast & crutches. 

I think what you have both observed is a in the minority. I, and most of the OAP’s I know appreciate our concession passes which allow us to access health and social activities which might otherwise might be cost prohibitive. The pass doesn’t allow queue jumping or override disabled passenger needs-that’s selfishness -not a human trait confined to OAPs

On 18/01/2020 at 01:54, catmiss said:

I think what you have both observed is a in the minority. I, and most of the OAP’s I know appreciate our concession passes which allow us to access health and social activities which might otherwise might be cost prohibitive. The pass doesn’t allow queue jumping or override disabled passenger needs-that’s selfishness -not a human trait confined to OAPs

I know a few drivers and they've all mentioned issues with what they call "twerlies". People with passes, who know the restrictions yet still get offended when their pass is rejected outside the time limits. 

I’ve seen this too when I’ve had to catch an early bus, paid accordingly, and have sided with the driver but I do think this is a minority issue and not representative of all OAPs. 

Guest busdriver1
8 hours ago, catmiss said:

I’ve seen this too when I’ve had to catch an early bus, paid accordingly, and have sided with the driver but I do think this is a minority issue and not representative of all OAPs. 

It is a minority but a large minority

OAPs seem to think it's a right, just look at the amount of them you see at bus and tram stops well before 0930. If they actually left their homes at 0930, they would never risk being "t'wirly' :hihi:

An update - someone at the bus stop the other day told me the buses are going to be changing times again this year - but to help people and make things better this time. Lets hope so!

Again I have had more hassle with the 98. Last Thursday night I was waiting for it on Abbeydale Road to go through to Hillsborough, one an hour in the evening at the time I was waiting, it was showing on my app and at the bus stop and it never turned up. I ended up getting a taxi and paying £10.00 to get home when I have already paid for a bus pass.

Something really needs to change.

Guest busdriver1
11 minutes ago, Retro Queen said:

An update - someone at the bus stop the other day told me the buses are going to be changing times again this year - but to help people and make things better this time. Lets hope so!

Again I have had more hassle with the 98. Last Thursday night I was waiting for it on Abbeydale Road to go through to Hillsborough, one an hour in the evening at the time I was waiting, it was showing on my app and at the bus stop and it never turned up. I ended up getting a taxi and paying £10.00 to get home when I have already paid for a bus pass.

Something really needs to change.

You could have got a bus to town and another to Hillsborough surely. 

6 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

You could have got a bus to town and another to Hillsborough surely. 

I live on Scraithwood Drive above the five arches. In the light nights yes I will get a bus to Hillsborough and walk up but not in the dark, not under the five arches.

And its still no excuse for the 98 not turning up.

13 hours ago, Retro Queen said:

And its still no excuse for the 98 not turning up.

There are a number of possible reason it didn't show up. 

Take last night. ALL services that use Rock Street/Nottingham Street (Pitsmoor) were diverted away from 2045 till end of service due to the local wretched crotch fruits throwing bricks and other 'missiles' at passing buses. 

The above is increasingly happening in several areas of the city.