January 2020 Bus Service Changes

18 hours ago, Retro Queen said:

I don't know why my thread was moved either.

My bus was missing again tonight. It failed to appear at the due time on my phone app or the electronic board at the bus stop but then suddenly appeared as being due in 15 minutes so I decided to wait for that. When it came I was told by the driver that he was going as far as the Northern General and that was it. So I had to wait for the next 98 as I need the bus to go to the end of Wordsworth Avenue.

Roads are congested all over the city but routes like the 52 don't seem to be affected. Its honestly no joke when you've been at work all day to have to stand in the cold and wet for ages waiting for a bus just to get you home.

Oh the 52/52a most definitely gets affected!

On 29/10/2019 at 15:20, Michael_N said:

Service 43
This service will be rerouted to serve Newbold, running via Newbold Road, Littlemoor and St John’s Road,

for the life of me i cannot understand why stagecoach are rerouting the 43 to go round Newbold when the folk in Newbold have the Newbold circular 

2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Report this to the operator concerned.  As they no longer seem to have inspectors checking these things, sadly it is up to us - the passengers - reporting it.

Have done so (to First as they're the main offenders) repeatedly via Twitter. Other than a response to say they'll pass it on to the depot nothing has changed. Presumably no-one at OIive Grove is listening.

Just now, Martin C said:

Have done so (to First as they're the main offenders) repeatedly via Twitter. Other than a response to say they'll pass it on to the depot nothing has changed. Presumably no-one at OIive Grove is listening.

More likely as the customer service centre is in Leeds and from my quite extensive dealings with them, they are totally uninterested in FSY - which is why (1) I've stopped reporting minor annoyances which used to get sorted when the individual bits had their own call centres and (2) I now only report major concerns to contact I have at Olive Grove.

8 hours ago, Andy C said:

Oh the 52/52a most definitely gets affected!

How is that? Whenever I am waiting for a bus a 52 or 52a comes past every two minutes. Everyone else at the bus stop seems to notice too. We all say 'you're OK if you live on the 52 route, bus every two minutes'.

37 minutes ago, Retro Queen said:

How is that? Whenever I am waiting for a bus a 52 or 52a comes past every two minutes. Everyone else at the bus stop seems to notice too. We all say 'you're OK if you live on the 52 route, bus every two minutes'.

Which bus stop is this?

Let me know so I can record the chant, a capella, etc.

My record is thirteen 52s before a 51 turned up.

They are profitable commercial operations, moving a lot of people and having to deal with traffic, so the normal peak of a bus every 5/6 minutes can become disrupted.

8 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Which bus stop is this?

Let me know so I can record the chant, a capella, etc.

My record is thirteen 52s before a 51 turned up.

They are profitable commercial operations, moving a lot of people and having to deal with traffic, so the normal peak of a bus every 5/6 minutes can become disrupted.

Its the bus stop on Arundel Gate near the Cruicible.

Just beware that there will be a lot of disruption to Sheffield services over the coming few weeks, mostly at weekends. 

This will be due to road closures. 

Flat street/Pond Street & Haymarket are due to be closed for works. 

On 28/11/2019 at 14:40, craigmason said:

for the life of me i cannot understand why stagecoach are rerouting the 43 to go round Newbold when the folk in Newbold have the Newbold circular 

There are a fair few folk walk/drive down to Whittington Moor from Newbold to catch the X17 for their Sheffield commute in peak hours, whether there is any time saving for people getting onto the 43 at the nearest bus stop in Newbold as opposed to continue doing this is very debatable.

Purely my opinion but I can't help but think we in Chesterfield are due for a recast of many bus services during 2020 judging by the changes made so far this year, I would expect a further change to the Newbold Circular should the 43 re-route be confirmed as per consultation.

Edited by chessie

On 27/11/2019 at 20:24, Retro Queen said:

Thanks for this. The bus I went for tonight and last night was at 6.20 so not really in the main peak rush hour. It wouldn't be so bad if it was a ten minute service but once every half hour and then missing is beyond a joke as you say.

@Retro QueenFinally been able to grab time to ring Olive Grove! My original contact there has now fully retired (in the past fortnight), but I spoke to one of his colleagues and outlined our problems.

I was told various things in confidence, but I'm glad to be able to report that these details/issues are in an official report to Operations, and I am assured things should improve in the coming weeks. The only 'fly in the ointment' is possibly that we are coming up to the holiday time, but now this is an official complaint - albeit via devious means - there should be some action.

Edited by RollingJ

On 30/11/2019 at 18:31, chessie said:

There are a fair few folk walk/drive down to Whittington Moor from Newbold to catch the X17 for their Sheffield commute in peak hours, whether there is any time saving for people getting onto the 43 at the nearest bus stop in Newbold as opposed to continue doing this is very debatable.

Purely my opinion but I can't help but think we in Chesterfield are due for a recast of many bus services during 2020 judging by the changes made so far this year, I would expect a further change to the Newbold Circular should the 43 re-route be confirmed as per consultation.

Will be interesting to see if the timetable works out convenient to do so, but in theory they will be able to get the 43 from Newbold to Whittington Moor and change onto the X17 for a faster journey to Sheffield - without a walk/car/trip into Chesterfield being involved.

6 hours ago, RollingJ said:

@Retro QueenFinally been able to grab time to ring Olive Grove! My original contact there has now fully retired (in the past fortnight), but I spoke to one of his colleagues and outlined our problems.

I was told various things in confidence, but I'm glad to be able to report that these details/issues are in an official report to Operations, and I am assured things should improve in the coming weeks. The only 'fly in the ointment' is possibly that we are coming up to the holiday time, but now this is an official complaint - albeit via devious means - there should be some action.

Thank you for this.  I've only been using this service since May when I moved but people who live on my estate say that its not been reliable for some time. Let's hope it picks up.