I got a notice saying my BIOS had developed a fault and needs attention. It happened as the mains plug fell out of the wall during bootup. I don't know much about computers but as the PC is now working just as it always used to, what might have happened to correct the BIOS?

It probably sorted its self out when the power went back on and you restarted it,if all is running fine I wouldn’t worry about it.

Yes, I suppose so. I didn't know it was capable of doing that. 

You can get the error message if things change or if the motherboard loses power, it usually just resets to the default settings. Unless you've been in there and set some things other than the default, it won't cause problems.

It could be the CMOS battery that's on it's last legs, if it happens again, give us a shout . In most cases it's a cheap and easy fix.

Thank you Zach. No I haven't been in there but out of interest, can you tell me how changes would be made to BIOS as it's used at a very basic but essential level to run the PC, so far as I understand, so if it were changed isn't that a bit like altering someone's lower brain (used for heart beat) and still expecting them to perform?

Edited by woolyhead

34 minutes ago, woolyhead said:

Thank you Zach. No I haven't been in there but out of interest, can you tell me how changes would be made to BIOS as it's used at a very basic but essential level to run the PC, so far as I understand, so if it were changed isn't that a bit like altering someone's lower brain (used for heart beat) and still expecting them to perform?

It all depends on the make/model how you get into the BIOS... F2, ESC ect etc.

On more modern motherboards you now have UEFI which can be a tad more complicated. The same functions are still there but quite a few more such as secure boot etc. Most have a profile setting, I always tell people to save a working profile before you change things, or just reset to defaults if things go wrong.

If you list your PC/Laptop make & model, we should be able to find out the key press to access it.

22 minutes ago, zach said:

If you list your PC/Laptop make & model, we should be able to find out the key press to access it.

Isn't the usual procedure to mash the F2, F10, F12 and DEL keys all at once? 🙂

4 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Isn't the usual procedure to mash the F2, F10, F12 and DEL keys all at once? 🙂

😂

Yes! That works too!

BUT...there's always a miserable sod that wants a function key followed by the above that spoils the fun.

Edited by zach

My PC is tailor made. No model number. Unknown maker.

10 hours ago, woolyhead said:

My PC is tailor made. No model number. Unknown maker.

You just need the motherboard make/model. Chances are it would be either ESC or F2 to access it.