How Much Does A Funeral Cost

What's the approx cost of a cremation does anyone know

Direct Cremation UK

Direct Cremation UK: A simple cremation with a simple price.

Just £1175 all-inclusive

£1175 including " a top quality wooden coffin handmade in the UK. "   Why do we have the obsession of our remains been put in an expensive box, it is going to be burnt or buried, whats the point. Why would chip board not be sufficient at a quarter of the price?.

Angel1

Edited by ANGELFIRE1

41 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Direct Cremation UK

Just £1175 all-inclusive

£1175 including " a top quality wooden coffin handmade in the UK. "   Why do we have the obsession of our remains been put in an expensive box, it is going to be burnt or buried, whats the point. Why would chip board not be sufficient at a quarter of the price?.

Angel1

I guess it would be sufficient but not suitable for many people.

When my partner's dad passed away I seem to remember we spent somewhere in the region of £3-4k ish on the funeral as a whole (cremation at Grenoside), about 3 years ago now.

2 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Direct Cremation UK

Just £1175 all-inclusive

Angel1

Relative of mine died 3 years ago.  Saw the price the Sheffield undertaker was charging for coffins.  Cheapest wooden one, £550.  Cardboard / chipboard one £800.

Undertakers have cottoned on to the fact that people want the environmentally friendly option & have raised their prices on this option. 

Edited by Baron99

My father-in-law's funeral was early October '18.

Co-Op, 2 cars plus hearse, nice coffin but certainly not the most expensive, family flowers only, celebrant.

Around £5250.

14 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

My father-in-law's funeral was early October '18.

Co-Op, 2 cars plus hearse, nice coffin but certainly not the most expensive, family flowers only, celebrant.

Around £5250.

Rediculous costs at a time when folk are grieving & possibly vulnerable.  I thought the Govt was looking into this rip off industry? 

It's not as though you're going to go to a funeral director & say, "It's ok.  We've got Great Aunt Maud on ice, so you're the first funeral home we intend to visit & see what you charge, then we're going to shop around a bit.  We reckon we've got a few weeks before Maud starts to go off." 

And it's no good taking out one of those funeral plans.  Check the small print on them & they say even though you pay in, it might not fully cover future funeral costs; if you stop paying in, you probably won't get all your money back. 

Edited by Baron99

Its a scandal that the cost is so much.  When I go up to grenoside it will be on the back of my truck in a coffin made by me.

On 28/10/2019 at 20:38, sheff utd said:

What's the approx cost of a cremation does anyone know

I am a funeral director so hopefully I may be able to help. There are some funeral directors out there who genuinely care about the families they serve and charge people fairly, sadly they are still in a small minority.

To answer the original question a simple unattended cremation should (and can) cost around £1,200 - but on average people pay just over £1,700. 

A simple attended cremation funeral at a Sheffield Crematorium should (and can) cost around £2000 to £2,500. I am dealing with a funeral service at Sheffield at the moment and the total cost including all third party fees etc is £2,140.  The average cost for a funeral arrangement such as this is around £3,700.

It is correct that the Government are looking into the cost of funerals because of some traditional firms routinely overcharging families. This has gone on for far too long and is a national scandal. There are a few ethical funeral directors out there charging a fair price, but unfortunately there are far more who must have no conscience whatsoever if they can sleep at night.

Edited by nikki-red
Removed unnecessary bold

57 minutes ago, SimonI said:

A simple attended cremation funeral at a Sheffield Crematorium should (and can) cost around £2000 to £2,500. I am dealing with a funeral service at Sheffield at the moment and the total cost including all third party fees etc is £2,140.  The average cost for a funeral arrangement such as this is around £3,700.

Can I have a cremation without a  coffin, no service and how much would it cost?

Edited by nikki-red