Hilton Hotel & gym to close / reopen

Yet another setback for the Quay area. Hilton hotel announced today it was closing around the end of the year. There are no plans for a new company to take over the building. That means the city loses a major four star hotel leaving only St Paul’s in town. 

in addition there are strong rumours CMS is leaving the building across the road to move into the HSBC building in town.  

That area - with so much untapped potential yet so woefully under-utilised will be doubly hit for years to come. 

There has always been a problem with Park Square roundabout blocking off any type of pedestrian access from the town into the Canal basin.

The council have made so many areas of the town more accessible for pedestrians eg the walk from the railway station into the town centre, the walk from Showroom Cinema up Charles Street into the town centre.  Plus the current work on Fitzalan Square where there seems to better access to Arundel Gate and Norfolk Street.

Canal basin unfortunately has remained inaccessible. 

Edited by abbeyedges

Well there is no shortage of hotels being opened in the City. Hilton must have been in the wrong place or uncompetitive.

From what I have read in The Star it's not quite like that.

It seems to be more about the leaseholder suddenly deciding to surrender the lease and nothing to Hilton themselves.  

I have not seen or heard any rumour about CMS though.    I thought the HSBC building is already full with HSBC staff.   

Looking at the size of the cms building they will need bigger than that surely.

Edited by ECCOnoob

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

From what I have read in The Star it's not quite like that.

It seems to be more about the leaseholder suddenly deciding to surrender the lease and nothing to Hilton themselves.  

I have not seen or heard any rumour about CMS though.    I thought the HSBC building is already full with HSBC staff.   

Looking at the size of the cms building they will need bigger than that surely.

The HSBC building is 160,000sqr ft and HSBC occupy 140k, there's a separate office and a Law firm is set to take it however it isn't confirmed who but I suspect it shall be CMS.

View this planning app:

https://planningapps.sheffield.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=PX7GA4NYMTT00

Edited by ohgoditsjames

4 hours ago, muddycoffee said:

Well there is no shortage of hotels being opened in the City. Hilton must have been in the wrong place or uncompetitive.

What hotels have been opened in the City recently?  Genuine question.

48 minutes ago, ohgoditsjames said:

The HSBC building is 160,000sqr ft and HSBC occupy 140k, there's a separate office and a Law firm is set to take it however it isn't confirmed who but I suspect it shall be CMS.

View this planning app:

https://planningapps.sheffield.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=PX7GA4NYMTT00

CMS is taking 40-50,000 sq ft in the HSBC building.  It's been widely known in the local property scene for months.  

8 minutes ago, bendix said:

What hotels have been opened in the City recently?  Genuine question.

CMS is taking 40-50,000 sq ft in the HSBC building.  It's been widely known in the local property scene for months.  

Not sure how that works when there isn't 40-50k floor space left. Theres unit 4/5 and then the 20k block which is what the "Law firm" are taking. It wasn't confirmed if it was them, they did however express interest in taking somewhere within HOTC2 but not explicitly in the HSBC building.

Edited by ohgoditsjames

the canal basin will become the place to be ,when the sheaf market area is all done,but how long?

3 hours ago, ohgoditsjames said:

Not sure how that works when there isn't 40-50k floor space left. Theres unit 4/5 and then the 20k block which is what the "Law firm" are taking. It wasn't confirmed if it was them, they did however express interest in taking somewhere within HOTC2 but not explicitly in the HSBC building.

You better tell that to the law firm management people who are sitting down with SCC representatives to sign the deal in the next few days then.  Perhaps they forgot to take their tape measure around.