Hilton Hotel & gym to close / reopen

8 hours ago, muddycoffee said:

Well there is no shortage of hotels being opened in the City. Hilton must have been in the wrong place or uncompetitive.

I think there is a shortage of 5 star hotels in the city?  But also a shortage of tourists.  The two are probably related?

Edited by DerbyTup

1 hour ago, DerbyTup said:

I think there is a shortage of 5 star hotels in the city?  But also a shortage of tourists.  The two are probably related?

There are no 5 star hotels at all.   Hilton is at best a rather tired version of 4 star, and St Pauls is 4 star at best.  All the others are three star, plus the usual line up of Premier Inns, Travelodges etc.

Obviously the building should be used to house the homeless !

Perfect eh ?

A little trawl around companies house site gives some interesting information about the directors (current and resigned), of the company named in the report that has 'surrendered' its lease.  A look at the company that is said to 'support' this company makes interesting reading also.  

Seems to me that the decisions about this have been made by the owner of the hotel building.  Again, a deeper look at some of the documentation on the website of the owners of the building makes interesting reading as well.  

2 hours ago, stewybill said:

Obviously the building should be used to house the homeless !

Perfect eh ?

Could be, but the rents, rates and service charges might be high, especially as they would have an exclusive drinks bar.

3 minutes ago, carosio said:

Could be, but the rents, rates and service charges might be high, especially as they would have an exclusive drinks bar.

And gym!

10 hours ago, bendix said:

What hotels have been opened in the City recently?  Genuine question.

CMS is taking 40-50,000 sq ft in the HSBC building.  It's been widely known in the local property scene for months.  

There's the easy hotel on High Street where the C&A used to be, I think that's new.

I've bemoaned the fact that the city is poorly served by top hotels, top shops, top restaurants, top everything really, but that's how most folks seem to like it so it's not going to change.  If we take hotels, I was really excited when I read about the prospect of us having a 5 star hotel in the central library building.  But on reflection, it would just be a waste of money and would close down in no time, because few people would use it.  There's just no good reason for tourists or business people to come here and it's not easy to get here.  

Imagine if we had an international convention centre, for example.  Something that would attract international commerce.  Now, in that situation we would absolutely need top quality hotels, 5 star - because that's what most delegates expect to stay at.  But we don't.  And I don't see that happening either actually - not in the next 100 years anyhow.

Therefore, we should probably embrace our status as a little backwater, quaint and relatively unvisited, with quaint friendly folks of self-effacing charm, devouring hot roast pork sandwiches in dripping and moaning about t' ole's in t' road - ole's that could be filled a million times over, if we could only attract more commerce. 😶

Edited by DerbyTup

Guest makapaka
32 minutes ago, DerbyTup said:

I've bemoaned the fact that the city is poorly served by top hotels, top shops, top restaurants, top everything really, but that's how most folks seem to like it so it's not going to change.  If we take hotels, I was really excited when I read about the prospect of us having a 5 star hotel in the central library building.  But on reflection, it would just be a waste of money and would close down in no time, because few people would use it.  There's just no good reason for tourists or business people to come here and it's not easy to get here.  

Imagine if we had an international convention centre, for example.  Something that would attract international commerce.  Now, in that situation we would absolutely need top quality hotels, 5 star - because that's what most delegates expect to stay at.  But we don't.  And I don't see that happening either actually - not in the next 100 years anyhow.

Therefore, we should probably embrace our status as a little backwater, quaint and relatively unvisited, with quaint friendly folks of self-effacing charm, devouring hot roast pork sandwiches in dripping and moaning about t' ole's in t' road - ole's that could be filled a million times over, if we could only attract more commerce. 😶

I suppose Recently  attracting rolls Royce, Boeing and mclaren don’t count? 

53 minutes ago, makapaka said:

I suppose Recently  attracting rolls Royce, Boeing and mclaren don’t count? 

Two of those are in Rotherham ;)  You are right though, even though these companies are on the edge of the city (or in Rotherham borough in the case of Rolls Royce and McLaren) they attract business to city and region, including business visitors.

Edited by Agent Orange

Well, according to this article, Sheffield does get visitors - quite a lot of them it would seem.  

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/politics/this-is-the-staggering-amount-tourists-spend-in-sheffield-every-year-430592

Not bad for a little backwater, quaint and relatively unvisited city, eh? ;)

Heart of the city 2 will have 2 new hotels of which one is supposedly to be a 5 star hotel, new offices, new shops, new restaurants, bars, a food and leisure hall and apartments. Have you walked around town with your eyes closed?