Electric Cars, Anyone Got One?

On 09/11/2019 at 11:59, old tup said:

What nobody has mentioned surprisingly is hydrogen cars,which charge the electric motor up independently on the move!.This technology has not been promoted as much as any of the alternatives but it makes more sense especialy with the charging issue!.Sheffield has one of the few filling stations available in the country,hydrogen I think is the future,a few car companies are still continuing to refine the technology,filling stations need setting up and the prices for the cars are expensive but that was the case for hybrids and full evs at first and its now coming down to reasonable  affordability !.Hydrogen is the way forward in my opinion!.

It's not mentioned because it is still not practically viable in the long term.  They still haven't solved the engineering problems of long term hydrogen storage and the catalyst material which facilitates the reaction between oxygen and hydrogen.

Whoever solves this will be very rich indeed.

Edited by nikki-red

I didn't realise that hydrogen would not react with oxygen without the catalyst you mention, Albert the Cat. Whenever I've seen a hydrogen/oxygen reaction it has been virtually instantaneous but without any catalyst. What does the catalyst do?

What hydrogen/oxygen reaction have you seen that's instantaneous ?

Are you talking about combustion ? - even that needs an ignition source.

A hydrogen fuel cell isn't combustion.  It's a transfer / exchange of electrons, and that process needs a catalyst.

The reaction I'm referring to is the one where hydrogen is collected in a test tube and air (oxygen) is let in and a spark ignites the mixture. It might not be literally instantaneous but it's pretty quick.

On 16/11/2019 at 14:12, ads36 said:

What hydrogen/oxygen reaction have you seen that's instantaneous ?

Are you talking about combustion ? - even that needs an ignition source.

A hydrogen fuel cell isn't combustion.  It's a transfer / exchange of electrons, and that process needs a catalyst.

Spontaneous and instantaneous are two very different things where chemical reactions are concerned.

You can buy fuel cell cars. Toyota have been making them for quite a while now. You'll need deep pockets though, the Toyota Mirai is upwards of £60k.

15 hours ago, woolyhead said:

The reaction I'm referring to is the one where hydrogen is collected in a test tube and air (oxygen) is let in and a spark ignites the mixture.

That's combustion.

Fuel cells don't do that.

On 12/11/2019 at 12:39, Albert the Cat said:

It's not mentioned because it is still not practically viable in the long term.  They still haven't solved the engineering problems of long term hydrogen storage and the catalyst material which facilitates the reaction between oxygen and hydrogen.

Whoever solves this will be very rich indeed.

I watch James May on Youtube and he is often buying cars - his latest two or a Tesla and one of the Toyota hydrogen cars to test between the two. 

He was saying there only a handful of stations in the UK that offer hydrogen refuelling which means you REALLY have to plan where you're going to go with the car and by comparison at the very least, with an electric car you can plug it in to the 3 pin socket and recharge - even if it will take about 2 days.  

8 minutes ago, Tomm06 said:

I watch James May on Youtube and he is often buying cars - his latest two or a Tesla and one of the Toyota hydrogen cars to test between the two. 

He was saying there only a handful of stations in the UK that offer hydrogen refuelling which means you REALLY have to plan where you're going to go with the car and by comparison at the very least, with an electric car you can plug it in to the 3 pin socket and recharge - even if it will take about 2 days.  

ITM Power which are moving from the Advanced Manufacturing Park to Bessemer Park (Sheffield - not the Rotherham Bessemer Park) on Shepcote Lane next to J34 M1 Meadowhall. Hopefully this Hydrogen producing company will be making more Hydrogen filling faciliites locally.

9 minutes ago, Hadron said:

ITM Power which are moving from the Advanced Manufacturing Park to Bessemer Park (Sheffield - not the Rotherham Bessemer Park) on Shepcote Lane next to J34 M1 Meadowhall. Hopefully this Hydrogen producing company will be making more Hydrogen filling faciliites locally.

What for is it for cars to top up, Nobodys  got one or ever will have more pie in sky like E V  instead of trying to kid people in to buying one the gov should put a pool of say 500 in every city similar to car sharing  to try them out 

On 20/11/2019 at 13:14, spider1 said:

What for is it for cars to top up, Nobodys  got one or ever will have more pie in sky like E V  instead of trying to kid people in to buying one the gov should put a pool of say 500 in every city similar to car sharing  to try them out 

Just seen on the news plans to build a new service station  at  juncton 36 on m1 .  Will this cater mostly for E . V as as all petrol . / deisel  cars wont exist in 20 years time .   

When I got my first Hybrid it was great for me being say a retired person, who can afford the time to wait for it, To charge up time wise, I enjoyed having it, using it, low tax, low fuel costs, however after having it 3 years, I replace it with a less complicated Hybrid, not having to control the retarder paddles, which like anything new was quite fiddly to work! Or to get used too.

In the three years I had expected the technology to have progressed more, so the next time I change my car, I hope there will be much more innovations with better choice in the future, I would also like to test the Vauxhall/GM hybrid option SUV. 

One of My neighbours says he favours the Hydrogen Cell, but I suspect he's just putting off getting a Hybrid at all! As the infrastructure simply doesn't exist in this area yet.