Electric Cars, Anyone Got One?

On 09/11/2019 at 11:59, old tup said:

What nobody has mentioned surprisingly is hydrogen cars,which charge the electric motor up independently on the move!.This technology has not been promoted as much as any of the alternatives but it makes more sense especialy with the charging issue!.Sheffield has one of the few filling stations available in the country,hydrogen I think is the future,a few car companies are still continuing to refine the technology,filling stations need setting up and the prices for the cars are expensive but that was the case for hybrids and full evs at first and its now coming down to reasonable  affordability !.Hydrogen is the way forward in my opinion!.

Got to more simple than E, V.  needs something like this cant be any worse  ideas 

Edited by nikki-red

I must agree with Dardandec that if 30 cars rolled up at the same time to have their battery replaced it would cause a shortage of "fitters" for a while. No company would have 30 "fitters" sitting around, waiting for 30 cars to rollup together so the only things I can think of are (i) if the battery was replaced by an automaton of some sort or (ii) if the "fitters" had other things to do until these 30 cars arrive,  things such as setting up the batteries for recharging, sweeping up, cleaning the toilets, cleaning windscreens, checking tyre pressures, doing their "standby job." This would require some inventiveness. It would need a new breed of mechanic, maybe one called a "battery fitter" as distinct from an engine fitter, who is a skilled mechanic. And the battery fitter would need to be flexible and willing to change activity when in greater demand.

Edited by woolyhead

On reading through some of the previous posts,  I feel some people have not grasped that you have to Drive your Electric PHEV Hybrid Cars in a slightly different manner, to take advantage of the Advanced Regenerative Braking Charging features.  This might be due to a lack of knowledge as to How Too use correctly or inexperience whilst using any New PHEV Vehicle or being poorly advised by the Dealer.

I also found online a previous feature by an Indian Co. Which was considering using a CO2 as a powered power unit, which would mean you would need a whole new infrastructure for supplying CO2 Containers.

The infrastructure to supply / Fuel / Maintain Hydrogen Cells is not seeming to be there yet!

If you were to propose any new power source, you would certainly have to consider, if it was safe to proceed.

3 hours ago, DeZeus said:

On reading through some of the previous posts,  I feel some people have not grasped that you have to Drive your Electric PHEV Hybrid Cars in a slightly different manner, to take advantage of the Advanced Regenerative Braking Charging features.  This might be due to a lack of knowledge as to How Too use correctly or inexperience whilst using any New PHEV Vehicle or being poorly advised by the Dealer.

I also found online a previous feature by an Indian Co. Which was considering using a CO2 as a powered power unit, which would mean you would need a whole new infrastructure for supplying CO2 Containers.

The infrastructure to supply / Fuel / Maintain Hydrogen Cells is not seeming to be there yet!

If you were to propose any new power source, you would certainly have to consider, if it was safe to proceed.

I would be interested to who decided it was safe to suceed with   E. V. and every thing that goes with it . 

7 hours ago, spider1 said:

I would be interested to who decided it was safe to suceed with   E. V. and every thing that goes with it . 

You do know electric cars were invented before petrol and diesel cars? can you imagine if they had the battery technology at that time? do you think there would ever have been internal combustion engines, certainly not in automobiles. The guy who invented the 4 cycle (Stroke) internal combustion engine (Dr Otto) didn't invent it for automobiles, he invented it for industrial use, someone else came up with the idea of sticking it in automobiles. The Diesel engine (Invented by Rudolf Diesel a little later) was Dr. Otto's engine that was modified to run on coal dust and he nearly died developing it due the high compression (causing the heat) needed to ignite the fuel. Little history lesson for you all there.😉

Edited by Dardandec

On 09/11/2019 at 11:59, old tup said:

What nobody has mentioned surprisingly is hydrogen cars,which charge the electric motor up independently on the move!.This technology has not been promoted as much as any of the alternatives but it makes more sense especialy with the charging issue!.Sheffield has one of the few filling stations available in the country,hydrogen I think is the future,a few car companies are still continuing to refine the technology,filling stations need setting up and the prices for the cars are expensive but that was the case for hybrids and full evs at first and its now coming down to reasonable  affordability !.Hydrogen is the way forward in my opinion!.

I watched a programme about hydrogen cars and they are the future, but the only drawback is, according to the experts is, if they had a crash and the fuel tank burst there would be an almighty explosion. Not good if multiple cars were involved. 

Edited by nikki-red

11 hours ago, Dardandec said:

You do know electric cars were invented before petrol and diesel cars? can you imagine if they had the battery technology at that time? do you think there would ever have been internal combustion engines, certainly not in automobiles. The guy who invented the 4 cycle (Stroke) internal combustion engine (Dr Otto) didn't invent it for automobiles, he invented it for industrial use, someone else came up with the idea of sticking it in automobiles. The Diesel engine (Invented by Rudolf Diesel a little later) was Dr. Otto's engine that was modified to run on coal dust and he nearly died developing it due the high compression (causing the heat) needed to ignite the fuel. Little history lesson for you all there.😉

They didnt have battery tecchnology then and still dont ./ Have you ever heard of if in a hole stop digging 

On ‎09‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 15:40, spider1 said:

Got to more simple than E, V.  needs something like this cant be any worse  ideas 

What about steam cars where the water is heated by nuclear fuel as in a nuclear submarine?

29 minutes ago, woolyhead said:

What about steam cars where the water is heated by nuclear fuel as in a nuclear submarine?

Doesn't Jay Leno own a nuclear car?

1 hour ago, geared said:

Doesn't Jay Leno own a nuclear car?

Why dont they give every one a drone land on front garden . Amazon are trying to do it so throw money in to that or give every one a helicopter 

I'd happily settle for a self-drive car that can take me home after an evening at the pub.

2 minutes ago, geared said:

I'd happily settle for a self-drive car that can take me home after an evening at the pub.

They have one out now its called a wife  They can be a bit tempermental just got to know how to handle them . Anglers Rest quiz night   tuesday  brilliant