Electric Cars, Anyone Got One?

15 hours ago, Dardandec said:

Oh ok, no thoughts on the matter? maybe you could give us some wonderful insight into the future of EV's?

I just told you about the battery replacing en route. That's a wonderful insight. 

51 minutes ago, stifflersmom said:

Motor manufacturers investing billions in electric vehicles and associated infrastructure, to force people into not owning cars and getting them on public transport? Righty ho.

Not the car companys  thats trying to stop you its Councills  they dont want cars on the road just a matter of time before you have to pay to go in to Sheff  they have done it  in london //  

I tried to get a drop kerb they tried every thing poss to stop me [ you got a y e b box and you got a stop tap in the causeway etc 

50 minutes ago, woolyhead said:

I just told you about the battery replacing en route. That's a wonderful insight. 

Is this a joke he he gets  better

On 05/11/2019 at 10:01, Obelix said:

Well quite. Thats the problem isn't it. There is no technical reason it cannot be done, the reasons that it will never happen are entirely different, and probably unsolvable sadly.

I mean there are at least four different incompatible charging systems that I know of, what hope of a standard battery....

From the very beginning if the motor manufacturers had got their act together and decided one specific type of battery and one dedicated charging system I think the electric car would be further along its development than it is now. Battery changing, battery charging would have been much simpler.

Angel1.

2 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

From the very beginning if the motor manufacturers had got their act together and decided one specific type of battery and one dedicated charging system I think the electric car would be further along its development than it is now. Battery changing, battery charging would have been much simpler.

Angel1.

No serve no point at all no matter how fast they charged it would still take above an hour min 

Edited by spider1

18 minutes ago, spider1 said:

No serve no point at all no matter how fast they charged it would still take above an hour min 

I doubt it. Look how far range and charging times have come on in the last 10 years. 

Actually, I’ve had a google. On a Tesla super charger, you can get a 50% charge in 20 mins. Googling further, the new V3 charger will give 75 mile range with a 5 min charge.

The tech is there now.

18 minutes ago, spider1 said:

For all my Outlander PHEV's problems, it did charge at the allowed fast charge rate up to a maximum of 80% (any more would damage the battery) in 30 /40 minutes,  not 1 hour.

What I have omitted to say in previous posts, after 50 mph the engine cut in and it ran on petrol, bearing in mind ours was an early model and to- days PHEV may be configured to run differently.

Angel1.

8 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

I doubt it. Look how far range and charging times have come on in the last 10 years. 

Actually, I’ve had a google. On a Tesla super charger, you can get a 50% charge in 20 mins. Googling further, the new V3 charger will give 75 mile range with a 5 min charge.

The tech is there now.

Problem with Tessla when I looked at their "performance" (some years ago granted) like Mitsubishi they gave some outlandish figure of 280 miles per charge which sounded very good.  But as a sports car, and delving further into its spec, at full chat it could empty its battery in around 9 minutes. With the best will in the world, it is doubtful it would do 280 miles in its 9 minutes of high power. In all fairness, to-days Tessla may be very different to the one I looked at.

Angel1.

1 hour ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Problem with Tessla when I looked at their "performance" (some years ago granted) like Mitsubishi they gave some outlandish figure of 280 miles per charge which sounded very good.  But as a sports car, and delving further into its spec, at full chat it could empty its battery in around 9 minutes. With the best will in the world, it is doubtful it would do 280 miles in its 9 minutes of high power. In all fairness, to-days Tessla may be very different to the one I looked at.

Angel1.

Tech is galloping along at the moment, 5 years on - given the amount of money being into EVs - it will be very different again.

34 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Tech is galloping along at the moment, 5 years on - given the amount of money being into EVs - it will be very different again.

Goes on and on in 5 years time okay wait and see even hybreds are not worth it price wise but we all  like to do our bit .. You can throw as much at it as you want if its no good its no good . Dont think any dragons will be putting money in 

Edited by spider1

14 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Angel1.

Most Teslas will comfortably do 200+ miles in mixed driving on a single charge, but are capable of emptying the charge in well under an hour indeed if you hoof them around like a Porsche (-the performance of which they have) until empty. That's what Elon Musk charges the big bucks for, certainly not the materials and finishing.

It's really no different to mpg: the harder and more often you press the go-pedal, and the higher you rev the engine and the higher speed you drive increasing air resistance, the lower the mpg (= discharge rate for batteries).

Take a petrol sports car that does eg low to mid-30s mpg in mixed driving, but can go all the way down to less than 10 mpg when hoofing it seriously: a full 60l tank is 13gals, at eg 7mpg that's 91 miles, travelled at max speed that'd be around 35 mins' worth of running time.

Edited by L00b

It's basic physics, do more work and you need more energy.

Recharge time is the killer now, but with advancements that will soon become less of a problem.

From a performance aspect Electric cars are great, they go like the clappers and some nifty handling stuff can be done when each wheel has it's own motor.

For now though they are simply affordable for me and many others.

Edited by geared

What nobody has mentioned surprisingly is hydrogen cars,which charge the electric motor up independently on the move!.This technology has not been promoted as much as any of the alternatives but it makes more sense especialy with the charging issue!.Sheffield has one of the few filling stations available in the country,hydrogen I think is the future,a few car companies are still continuing to refine the technology,filling stations need setting up and the prices for the cars are expensive but that was the case for hybrids and full evs at first and its now coming down to reasonable  affordability !.Hydrogen is the way forward in my opinion!.

Edited by nikki-red