Electric Cars, Anyone Got One?

23 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Technically speaking I did not pick the PHEV, the salesman sold it to me. Please read post 49  page 5 before replying to me.   156 to the gallon was the lie that sold it.

Before of after Farage?

...fool you once and all that :?

29 minutes ago, Magilla said:

Before of after Farage?

...fool you once and all that :?

I don't really understand your reply to be honest, but I will elaborate a little. Truck driver for 30 years, diesel engine no problem. Stock car transporter bus driver and mechanic, petrol engine no problem. Going electric, big problem, no idea of the technology involved, thus placed confidence in honesty of a sales man. Don't forget this was close to 4 years ago when the PHEV was been pushed as the car that did 156 to the gallon. Just to add it only broke down once, when the RAC man turned up he went green, " it's electric, I have no clue what will be wrong with it, do you have any ideas".  Just that the lights dim when trying to start it, a battery problem maybe,  RAC man jump started it with another battery and it started. So the technology was that new even the RAC man was out of the loop.

Angel1.

So he diagnosed a flat battery jumped it and it worked... And you claim he was bamboozle by it?

18 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Technically speaking I did not pick the PHEV, the salesman sold it to me. Please read post 49  page 5 before replying to me.   156 to the gallon was the lie that sold it.

Angel1.

I'm sure he didn't force you to buy it at the point of a gun. 

Also as a mechanic of however many years you'd be able to realise that mpg figures are indicative and not real world. Also using it outside of its use case won't help.

But yeah blame the sales man

MY MISTAKE, THIS POST BELONGS IN ELECTRIC CARS. I CAN"T MOVE IT.

Replacing (not recharging) the battery while on a journey would save you a lot of time. If companies with enough investment money established battery replacing stations up and down the country and were to get the car manufacturers to make the battery fixings and connections quickly undoable (not an impossible task), your battery (and several others) could have been charged up in advance of you arriving at the station so that a quick replacement could take place. In case there were to be a problem with people leaving a very old battery and getting a newish one in exchange, this could be covered by you having taken out a scheme parcipation membership so any losses all becomes swings and roundabouts for the battery replacement station, their losses being covered by the cost of scheme membership. Although this way of working would cost a bit more than by simply recharging your existing battery, it would save you a lot of time on your journey.

Edited by woolyhead

5 hours ago, Obelix said:

So he diagnosed a flat battery jumped it and it worked... And you claim he was bamboozle by it?

I'm sure he didn't force you to buy it at the point of a gun. 

Also as a mechanic of however many years you'd be able to realise that mpg figures are indicative and not real world. Also using it outside of its use case won't help.

But yeah blame the sales man

Read the post again, I diagnosed the flat battery, the RAC man just supplied the battery and leads that jump started our car. By his OWN admission, he had NO KNOWLEDGE OF electric vehicles - 4 years ago. I suggest 4 years on both AA and RAC will now have knowledge of how electric vehicles work after no doubt been on some course or other to be able to diagnose faults in the event of a breakdown.

You still do not grasp the situation. The salesman sold us the vehicle on the premise it would do the same job as a diesel engined vehicle. We EXPLAINED to him more than once that we did heavy mileage, visiting Scotland several times a year. As I have stated, I had no knowledge at this time of electric hybrid vehicles, his assurance that the PHEV did 156 to the gallon sold it to us. I cannot explain it any clearer than that. 

Please don't bother replying, as it is getting rather boring trying to explain to you about our PHEV. Like BREXIT it's just going round in circles.

Angel1.

Edited by ANGELFIRE1

Going round in circle?

I think the position is clear - you bought a car that was used by yourself outside the use case for it, and it returned poor mpg.

I dont think we are going in circles at all - we know exactly what happened...

On 01/11/2019 at 20:15, ANGELFIRE1 said:

I don't really understand your reply to be honest, but I will elaborate a little. Truck driver for 30 years, diesel engine no problem. Stock car transporter bus driver and mechanic, petrol engine no problem. Going electric, big problem, no idea of the technology involved, thus placed confidence in honesty of a sales man. Don't forget this was close to 4 years ago when the PHEV was been pushed as the car that did 156 to the gallon. Just to add it only broke down once, when the RAC man turned up he went green, " it's electric, I have no clue what will be wrong with it, do you have any ideas".  Just that the lights dim when trying to start it, a battery problem maybe,  RAC man jump started it with another battery and it started. So the technology was that new even the RAC man was out of the loop.

Angel1.

I see where you went wrong.

5 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

You still do not grasp the situation. The salesman sold us the vehicle on the premise it would do the same job as a diesel engined vehicle. We EXPLAINED to him more than once that we did heavy mileage, visiting Scotland several times a year. As I have stated, I had no knowledge at this time of electric hybrid vehicles, his assurance that the PHEV did 156 to the gallon sold it to us. I cannot explain it any clearer than that.

Angel1.

What a bummer, Buying into something due to lies and deceit, whatever is the world coming to? I would have written to the lead singer of Echo and the Bunnymen.

Tempting as it is, I’m not going to pile on angelfire but will say that car salesmen (and women) hardly have a cast iron reputation for honesty. Try having a look at Parker’s or Honest Johns websites before making a big purchase. Trust but verify and all that.

In other news,  I read an article on what areas have the most charging facilities for EVs. Have a guess who comes bottom in charging points per 100,000 people?

Electric cars: Best and worst places to charge your car https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50261278

21 hours ago, Dardandec said:

What a bummer, Buying into something due to lies and deceit, whatever is the world coming to? I would have written to the lead singer of Echo and the Bunnymen.

Steady on you will be talking about Brexit next...

21 hours ago, Dardandec said:

You Young  Ones.

Always making a fuss😅

20 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

You Young  Ones.

Always making a fuss😅

;)