Electric Cars, Anyone Got One?

To be fair the marketing for that particular car was well know for it's mis-leading claim on economy.

qjBRuiZ.jpg

Edited by geared

1 minute ago, geared said:

This exactly.

On-street charging is available in some places, but there's a big risk that scruffy kids will just vandalise the charge point for a laugh.

Then you're good and stuffed.

This is I suspect the largest blocker to the uptake of electric cars. People want and need to charge at home on cheap overnight electricity. Until you put charge points off each lamppost it'll not be viable in many cities.

Just now, Obelix said:

This is I suspect the largest blocker to the uptake of electric cars. People want and need to charge at home on cheap overnight electricity. Until you put charge points off each lamppost it'll not be viable in many cities.

Even then any public charging is going to cost several times more than at-home charging, which will seem quite unfair to those on low-income who have no private parking and no other choice.

The Government are set to lose a ton of money on fuel duty, you can bet there will be some ham-fisted attempt to get that back from electric car charging. 

19 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Apologies for the long post.

Angel1

you bought the wrong car, and you're blaming the car.

Edited by ads36

I might have a loan of a Model 3 for 2 weeks next month, waiting to hear by 4th November.

No charge point at home or at work (yet), but tons of public ones about, including in a public car park 200-250 yards away from home.

Already tried a few Teslas, and just curious to see if I can live with the thing day to day, as it's pretty much a perfect swap for my current car size-, range- and performance-wise (Jag XE S)...minus the 25-30 mpg economy.

That economy is not killing me as such, but running on 98 only and notwithstanding how cheap it is here, it's still a pretty tall pile of pennies over the years.

9 hours ago, spider1 said:

Lots of peopls in hillsborouhg /  sharrow  / woodseats to name but a few would think themselves lucky if they could park there car outside there own houses. So the answer would be anywere they can possible half mile away

6 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Are you advocating parking your car away from home overnight while charging it up. That sounds like a brilliant idea, if you are a thief on the lookout for an opportunity to ply your trade.

Angel1.

6 hours ago, geared said:

This exactly.

On-street charging is available in some places, but there's a big risk that scruffy kids will just vandalise the charge point for a laugh.

Then you're good and stuffed.

So let me halt the debate there.

Essentially what you are doing here is looking for the problem areas, not the areas of opportunity. Flip it on its head and tell me what is stopping the folks in Stannington or Ecclesfield?

1 hour ago, tzijlstra said:

So let me halt the debate there.

Essentially what you are doing here is looking for the problem areas, not the areas of themany of?

You want to get in real world most of the big estates are problem areas a charging poiht wouldnt last 2 mins in any of them 

Edited by spider1

10 hours ago, Obelix said:

Sort of what I said on the first page...

Plus apparently lithium mining for the batteries isn't very good environmentally.  How it compares to oil production, I don't know.

11 hours ago, spider1 said:

You want to get in real world most of the big estates are problem areas a charging poiht wouldnt last 2 mins in any of them 

Really? And you’re telling me I need to get in a real world? 

My real world is both heating up and has prosperous Brits believe they live in a warzone apparently...

33 minutes ago, tzijlstra said:

Brits believe they live in a warzone apparently...

Warzone? No.

Bored idiot kids? Thousands of them.

Yes we all live in a war zone in G. B..  There are loads of places in sheff were you dare not go after 

9 p.m. or even in the day . Even police dont go on foot in singles they go flying through in squad car .

Reminds me of Mcarthy Park in L.A. when i went there 

15 hours ago, spider1 said:

Before long (couple of decades maybe), private car ownership will revert to being a genuine luxury unaffordable to most, if nothing else as a result of policies aiming to improve mobility in ever more populated, and so congested, conurbations.

In that context, the problem of charging point safety in big estates might resolve itself, through lack of private cars in big estates in the first place.