Electric Cars, Anyone Got One?

1 minute ago, ads36 said:

Or, in other words, you completely misunderstood the point of a plug-in hybrid?

Explanation please.

Angel1.

17 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Explanation please.

The small battery is enough for most commuters. So instead of ~£4/day on fuel, you're spending less than a quid (charging up at home, overnight, on a 13amp plug). There's a saving of well over £50/month. There's your 100+ mpg equivalent. (20+ miles for a quid).

And the same vehicle has the option of running on standard fuel, giving you all the range you want, without the extra weight of big batteries.

Remembering that fuel is only one of the costs of driving, you've got 2 different vehicles for the running costs of one.

Sounds like you were driving several journeys per day...

Edited by ads36

Home 14 p/kWh £1.70  

Angel1.

2 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Just someone who is retired and while many people are at work we are able to be out and about enjoying ourselves. If that means doing heavy miles in the car, so be it. My missus is a good driver.

We had the PHEV from driving it out of the showroom until we gladly got rid after about 38 months.  Please be assured it cost us more to run than a diesel. Just fact I'm afraid.

Just to pour a little cold water on the £1 a night home charge. Figures from ZAP-MAP.

Home 14 p/kWh £1.70 6.5 p/mile

Another fact, we pay our bills by standing order, when we got rid of the PHEV after a few months I contacted our Lecky supplier, and got our payments reduced by £50 month, as we were going into a large surplus.

Angel1.

2 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Home 14 p/kWh £1.70  

Edited by ANGELFIRE1

You would be having to charge the battery every day complete from discharged to use £50 a month on it.

If you had to pay for diesel as well the cost would be whatever about 110 litres of fuel would be. 

14 hours ago, vwkittie said:

How do they manage with regards to people who don't have a parking space (and thus nowhere to put a charger) at home? Or those who live in a block of flats and don't have the ability to put a charger in, even if they do have a space for the car?

We'll definitely be going down the plug-in hybrid route for our next car but we're lucky enough to have space to sort out our own charger at home, it'd be a bit different if we couldn't.

My dad got a Kia Niro plug-in hybrid several months ago and loves it, does all his general drives on electric but still has the petrol for occasional longer journeys.

If you don’t have parking, where do you park your car? 

That is where you put chargers :) Look at oplaadpunten.nl for the noticeable difference.

1 hour ago, tzijlstra said:

That is where you put chargers :) Look at oplaadpunten.nl for the noticeable difference.

Lots of peopls in hillsborouhg /  sharrow  / woodseats to name but a few would think themselves lucky if they could park there car outside there own houses. So the answer would be anywere they can possible half mile away

10 hours ago, Obelix said:

You would be having to charge the battery every day complete from discharged to use £50 a month on it.

If you had to pay for diesel as well the cost would be whatever about 110 litres of fuel would be. 

As stated, PHEV did 23 miles per charge, we certainly exceeded that daily. I take the dogs out 4 times a day, which is about 10 miles just for starters. Cafe and back 8 miles, most days. Pop to see mate at his garage 56 miles.  Ride out deer spotting, most days, (we have Roe Deer in the area).  The PHEV had 44000 on it in 38 months when we got rid. Yes we charged it every day, sometimes even twice a day. While at home it was continually on charge, 24 hrs 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

As an aside, as a hybrid it did self charge, only very slowly but it did. While running on petrol press the charge button and it begins to self charge. Minor problem, it reduced the petrol mileage driving the generator and of course the car.

After having the car for 38 months it amuses me how people can post that they know better than I do what the car did. Trust me the Outlander is well worth owning, but in Diesel NOT electric. The electric technology is not there yet for cars to be used in direct comparison to a good diesel, unless you drive to work and back in it, less than 20 miles, give it 5 years and it may well be.

As for all electric car without an engine back up, I have no experience of them. Except the guy who came from Manchester to buy our MX5 in his all electric Leaf, first question was not about our car, but, "any where I can charge my car locally mate", I leave the reader to guess why.

As I have written elsewhere, we have just returned from 7 days in Scotland in our Seat, 44 mpg average over 1400 miles. How on this earth can you do that in an electric only car.  How can you pay 25k or more for a car that is not fit for purpose. The public are been conned to some extent.

Apologies for the long post.

Angel1

4 hours ago, tzijlstra said:

Are you advocating parking your car away from home overnight while charging it up. That sounds like a brilliant idea, if you are a thief on the lookout for an opportunity to ply your trade.

Angel1.

11 hours ago, Obelix said:

Probs charge it twice a day, once before work and once after work.  Thats quite often and must wear the battery out at a fair rate.

@ANGELFIRE1 mentioned the replacement battery was around £5000, thats not chump change when thats had it.

Edited by geared

It's clear that the use it was being given was not what the car was designed for. Seems fairly obvious that it was going to fall short of expectations!

5 hours ago, tzijlstra said:

3 hours ago, spider1 said:

Lots of peopls in hillsborouhg /  sharrow  / woodseats to name but a few would think themselves lucky if they could park there car outside there own houses. So the answer would be anywere they can possible half mile away

This exactly.

On-street charging is available in some places, but there's a big risk that scruffy kids will just vandalise the charge point for a laugh.

Then you're good and stuffed.

10 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

After having the car for 38 months it amuses me how people can post that they know better than I do what the car did. Trust me the Outlander is well worth owning, but in Diesel NOT electric. The electric technology is not there yet for cars to be used in direct comparison to a good diesel, unless you drive to work and back in it, less than 20 miles, give it 5 years and it may well be.

Because science lets us make predicitons like that..

Electric technology is there. IT's just not in the car that you picked for whatever reason, or rather that you picked the wrong car for your application.