Electric Cars, Anyone Got One?

Thinking of a Nissan Leaf? I don't do many long journeys and we have a second car if I need it. Anyone got one? what is the real life experience of living with one? Out of interest I noticed 2 ICE cars blocking the charging bays at Isobel Bowler this week. Is this a regular occurrence  in the EV world? Cheers. 

Some of the electric cars are hybrids. Was there no one with the vehicles?

Garage near me in S13 had a charging point in all last year and i was told they are taking it out .

Dont know if they have them in abundance in asda.

I personally would not have one if they were half the price .

Does the gov mobility scheme have them if not why not beware 

If you want to do your bit for enviroment get a small car or a Hybrid 

31 minutes ago, Janus said:

Why would they be sat in a car waiting half an hour to charge minimum 

Obvious not a hybrid to me or am i a bit slow 

Edited by spider1

50 minutes ago, Janus said:

There wasn't, the spaces were being treated as normal spaces. They were not hybrids, hybrids self charge as far as I'm aware, I think it's the PHEV hybrids that you plug in. 

56 minutes ago, spider1 said:

Garage near me in S13 had a charging point in all last year and i was told they are taking it out .

Dont know if they have them in abundance in asda.

I personally would not have one if they were half the price .

Does the gov mobility scheme have them if not why not beware 

If you want to do your bit for enviroment get a small car or a Hybrid 

Why would they be sat in a car waiting half an hour to charge minimum 

Obvious not a hybrid to me or am i a bit slow 

Hybrids only use electric at very low speeds. Majority are Toyotas, which don't drive great due to the CVT transmission. I want to go the whole hog, pure electric. Range on Leaf 30kwh is around 100 miles in the real world.

Asda Mosboro has 3 charging points. Crystal Peaks supposedly has at least one but I haven't spotted it yet.

AFAIA Motobility is new cars, EVs cost a fortune new, A 3 year old top of the range 30kwh Leaf is £14 now. 

Edited by blackydog

I only have experience in being a passenger in one.

My friend has a few years old Leaf, he commutes up to Maltby for work, then charges it when he gets home, no worries.

30 minutes ago, blackydog said:

There wasn't, the spaces were being treated as normal spaces. 

There will always be someone that goes against the grain of doing the right thing. It is the same with the  spaces intended for people with very young children. Also the disabled parking spaces.

At the large car park of Rotherham Tesco extra, they have recently installed one  or two spaces for charging electric vehicles.  When it is busy at the week prior to Christmas, I would guess someone will park in them when there are no ordinary spaces available.

1 hour ago, Pyrotequila said:

I only have experience in being a passenger in one.

My friend has a few years old Leaf, he commutes up to Maltby for work, then charges it when he gets home, no worries.

I guess that will be a 24KWH one then. Would you mind asking what's the longest round trip he's made without a stop off for a charge? Thanks

My Youngest Brother has currently a Nissan Leaf, which has a one way journey of approx 120-130 miles, then it needs a Charge Up, on a motorway you can get an 80% fast charge, others at sainsbury/ Asda can do charging while you shop.

These Electric Cars are great, quite responsive, but you do have to plan your journeys with care, plan in advance where to stop to charge. (There is an ap for that called Zap Ap, tells you where to charge with a map feature, even tells you if occupied).

I personally favour Hybrids, having had a PHEV and Self Charging Hybrids.

The new VW ID 3 looks great with a range of 340 miles with the largest battery option. I am waiting on the release of the ID Buzz for my wife, finally the successor to the camper van. 

My friend has a PHEV, she knows all the charging points she can stop off either on journeys or to leave it whilst she's at work!

She has a driveway of sorts though.  I live in a terrace, so won't be going electric anytime soon...

Does she set off half an hour early in case she has to charge it . What if said charging point near  her work is taken .