'Smart' Motorways.

The article says:

It is understood that she was hit by the Qashqai as she was standing next to the vehicle when the Mercedes struck it.

Why on earth was she standing next to the vehicle?

When I've passed broken down cars on the hard shoulder, I've lost count of the times I've seen the passengers (plural) all stood around the car and not over the barrier and up or down the banking.

The article also says:

A 30-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving and remains in police custody this morning.

So, someone not paying attention or ignoring the red crosses? You can't blame the road for stupid people.

I agree, it's very sad she's died but standing next to your broken down vehicle on the motorway isn't very smart.

It'd been there 16 minutes apparently, plenty of time to get out of the way.

I've passed people sat in their cars broken down on the hard shoulder just because its raining.

I agree, it's very sad she's died but standing next to your broken down vehicle on the motorway isn't very smart.

I saw this detail earlier today, yesterday I'd assumed she had literally only just got out of the car and had no time to get out of the carriageway, but in reality she stayed in a dangerous place instead of moving to a safe one...

On ‎11‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 10:25, geared said:

And plenty of time to close the lane...… I`ve seen loads of beached cars on "smart" motorways, including one just today, with the lane still open.

Or was the lane closed ?

If it was that`s even worse, that proves that the whole concept of a motorway with (what was) the hard shoulder open as a normal ruinning lane as default, is a bad idea.

Looks like the smart motorway building is going to be reviewed in next few weeks due to people getting hurt / killed on them .should these motorways continue to be built ? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50169527

Edited by rudds1

Links are always useful.

About time. Why does it take unnecessary deaths before a stupid idea some whiz kid came up with is seen for what it is? Hard shoulders are there for a reason.

There’s nothing wrong with smart motorways, it is the intermittent use of the hard shoulder as a live lane at busy times that is the problem.

The hard shoulder is there for a reason.

2 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

About time. Why does it take unnecessary deaths before a stupid idea some whiz kid came up with is seen for what it is? Hard shoulders are there for a reason.

Because the deaths of poor Northerners are an acceptable price to pay when a London-centric government expands a motorway on the cheap?

I know us Sheffielders like saving money, but deaths are too high a price to pay, even for a tight-arse skinflint like me

These deaths were expected, inevitable, and avoidable

I drove to Folkestone last weekend.

In the huge roadworks near Milton Keynes, there were two broken down lorries in sections without hard shoulder. The delays caused were ridiculous. The two breakdowns added roughly 40 minutes to my journey.

Removing the hard shoulder is clearly dangerous. It also does little to improve journey times as every small incident has a disproportionate effect upon traffic flow.

1 minute ago, Pettytom said:

I drove to Folkestone last weekend.

In the huge roadworks near Milton Keynes, there were two broken down lorries in sections without hard shoulder. The delays caused were ridiculous. The two breakdowns added roughly 40 minutes to my journey.

Removing the hard shoulder is clearly dangerous. It also does little to improve journey times as every small incident has a disproportionate effect upon traffic flow.

Those roadworks take the mickey big style. 22 miles of roadworks and another 2 1/2 years still to go yet