Car Crash At Meadowhead Today 25/10/2019

I don’t understand why people have issues with the turning to Bocking Lane. It is so simple and I don’t get how people can get confused with the lights on the crossing. It a very simple junction. And I don’t understand how anyone is confused/find difficult, Meadowhead roundabout. Since they have redone the lanes it is so simple and easy to follow the lanes around. All of the approaches are marked out. Anyone who has difficulties with either of these junctions need to take advanced driving lessons. 

5 hours ago, bassett one said:

sorry folks i mean the part opp the transport ground that turns down to bocking lane

Am confused as to why it is so difficult for people turning right  off Greenhill Parkway to give way to oncoming traffic from Bradway direction.

I'm sure we've had this discussion before.

Edited by Longcol

I posted   this over a year ago. It would seem that someone at the planning office agreed with my observations as they altered the plain green lenses to green filter arrow lenses pointing west.

I know it is ultimately the fault of the drivers misunderstanding  the signals but surely one of the objectives of road safety is to remove, as far as possible, the chance of human error.   The crossing is in the wrong place,it needs to be away from the junction to remove doubt

well whatever the problems at this junction and the island crash after crash week after week happens and also the lowedges road on to the dual carrageway, whos at fault for each one only scc/police and ambulance service will have these facts,but whaterver it needs sorting before theres more injurys or even death.plus nearly a bad accident with a u turn at st james shopping centre as well,its never ending.

6 hours ago, bassett one said:

well whatever the problems at this junction and the island crash after crash week after week happens

Do they? Really? Only I use both the roundabout and Bocking Lane junction twice a day, and have done for the last 5 years, and the accident on Friday was the first one I've seen. 

I don't think it's that it's difficult to negotiate as much as the amount of traffic using it. To be fair I don't use it very often but when I do it's at rush hour. I find that when it's my turn to go it's a case of foot down and get out of the way asap.

1 hour ago, slh73 said:

Do they? Really? Only I use both the roundabout and Bocking Lane junction twice a day, and have done for the last 5 years, and the accident on Friday was the first one I've seen. 

It's Sheffield Forum....over-exaggeration is the key to posts/replies ;)

On 26/10/2019 at 07:40, hardworker said:

On the contrary. Thus is not an easy roundabout in the terms that the speed people drive round it. This means when you enter it you have to really accelerate to avoid the cars coming round. Particularly bad at the Norton pub where you have to just go for it to get into the roundabout before cars catch up with you.

It's not a difficult roundabout at all - you just have to be patient and observant of others who don't know how to drive on roundabouts . Excess speed is also a problem .

Edited by Daven

RE-the question re car crashes outside the transport ground turning and the main roundabout and lowedges road are very often,its about time it was sorted thanks

3 hours ago, bassett one said:

RE-the question re car crashes outside the transport ground turning and the main roundabout and lowedges road are very often,its about time it was sorted thanks

Crashmap UK  https://www.crashmap.co.uk/Search shows, in the last 5 years - 3 serious and 2 slight accidents at the right turn towards Bocking Lane  (obviously Fridays not included) - 17 slight and one serious in the last 5 years on the roundabout 7 slight and one serious on the whole length of Low Edges Road.

For comparison in the same period there have been 7 serious and 26 slight accidents on Ecclesall Road between Hunters Bar and Tesco's (Berkeley Precinct) - pretty much the same and yet can't recall anyone complaining that stretch of road is dangerous.

On 26/10/2019 at 07:40, hardworker said:

On the contrary. Thus is not an easy roundabout in the terms that the speed people drive round it. This means when you enter it you have to really accelerate to avoid the cars coming round. Particularly bad at the Norton pub where you have to just go for it to get into the roundabout before cars catch up with you.

If you need to accelerate hard to avoid the cars already on the roundabout, you probably don’t understand how to use a roundabout.

9 hours ago, Pettytom said:

If you need to accelerate hard to avoid the cars already on the roundabout, you probably don’t understand how to use a roundabout.

Absolutely,   I totally agree, which is why my first comment said people should learn to drive and not to pass the test.

A refresher course or advanced training would sort out many faults and bad habits that as a driver you may have developed.