Christmas Eve Boxes

Presume this is another import from USA designed to make kids even more materialistic - can't they wait 24 hours until the 'proper' toyfest?!! Ridiculous idea - yet another thing to add to the list of things to parent-pester for at this time of year! The amount of Christmas extraneous tat to be seen nowadays is unbelievable - yes I am turning into a grumpy old woman! What's wrong with a satsuma at the bottom of a stocking?!

18 minutes ago, lindylou53 said:

Presume this is another import from USA designed to make kids even more materialistic - can't they wait 24 hours until the 'proper' toyfest?!! Ridiculous idea - yet another thing to add to the list of things to parent-pester for at this time of year! The amount of Christmas extraneous tat to be seen nowadays is unbelievable - yes I am turning into a grumpy old woman! What's wrong with a satsuma at the bottom of a stocking?!

Getting ridiculous Lindy, I've stopped leaving a mince pie out for Father Xmas now.

Children getting too many presents for Christmas, could there be a finer example of first world problems??

I like the idea, as far as I understand it the box is supposed to have things like new pyjamas, things to make a nice hot choc, new story book etc - things for xmas eve bedtime basically, nothing extravagant/expensive. You can also put in 'reindeer food' (which you can make yourself for pennies) for kids to put outside (birds will eat it!).

My sister does them, the other year we all got new PJs and put them on to watch a film with hot chocs (boozy for the adults!) before the kids went to bed, it was nice!

Like anything you can be as simple or as over the top as you like, or just not do it at all.

Edited by vwkittie

35 minutes ago, vwkittie said:

Like anything you can be as simple or as over the top as you like, or just not do it at all.

That's the thing though, before long it will just become another thing for businesses to exploit. Just like Advent calendars. I always buy one for my grown up son and his wife as it's a family tradition. Nothing fancy, just a cheap one. Now there are all these expensive ones containing perfumes and toiletries that no doubt would be a lot cheaper if bought separately. ☹️

17 minutes ago, Rollypolly said:

That's the thing though, before long it will just become another thing for businesses to exploit. Just like Advent calendars. I always buy one for my grown up son and his wife as it's a family tradition. Nothing fancy, just a cheap one. Now there are all these expensive ones containing perfumes and toiletries that no doubt would be a lot cheaper if bought separately. ☹️

I'm sure they will but people should just grow a spine and say no if they don't want to do something!

We have a family tradition of putting shoes out on New Year's Eve so that Mother New Year will come and fill them with sweets for New Year's Day. I've never heard of anyone else who does this or have any clue where it came from, but perhaps I should sell the idea to big business so they can sell personalised decorative shoes filled with perfumes :D

2 hours ago, Rollypolly said:

I see your point and agree some calendars are expensive tat but you could not be further from the truth with some of them. I bought a Holland and Barrett advent calendar so I could try a range of goods at cheap prices. I opened it last month as I never intended to use it as an advent calendar. Its amazing value, no wonder they sold out before October. 

4 hours ago, Padders said:

Getting ridiculous Lindy, I've stopped leaving a mince pie out for Father Xmas now.

Meanie

19 hours ago, Padders said:

Won't someone think of the poor reindeer...............

On 25/10/2019 at 15:19, lindylou53 said:

About 60 years, that's all. 😉

Angel1.

Heard one of the Radio Sheffield presenters this morning, who has a young son, who said she was going to buy him second hand presents for Christmas, as he too young to know otherwise. 

As she said, give him a jar & he'll play with it for hours.