Paying Your Last Respect, Was Told To Make An Appointment

I wanted to say a and last goodbye to a friend at a Sheffield funeral directors, every time ive visited before to do this  at other  funeral homes,ie simpsons, keatons,luntsI have been told take a seat and we will call you through in a few minutes,on this occasion  I was told no you cant you must make a appointment, no sorry about that or offered another time they didn't even say hello as I went in .it was very upsetting experience.i wont mention the name of the funeral company.

It could be possible that if the Funeral Director is dealing with a lot of "customers" and it may not be possible to have all the deceased laid out  to be observed at all times, it all depends on how many chapel of rests they have. They would therefore have  viewings/paying respect at certain times.

Some  grieving families ask for no viewings unless  by personal invitation as they believe it to be a personal family affair.

2 hours ago, maggidee said:

I wanted to say a and last goodbye to a friend at a Sheffield funeral directors, every time ive visited before to do this  at other  funeral homes,ie simpsons, keatons,luntsI have been told take a seat and we will call you through in a few minutes,on this occasion  I was told no you cant you must make a appointment, no sorry about that or offered another time they didn't even say hello as I went in .it was very upsetting experience.i wont mention the name of the funeral company.

This is quite unprofessional of them. I have every sympathy with you.

My Mum passed away in 1997, her funeral was handled by John Fairest, when we requested to go to see her we had to make an appt, that is quite normal, the directors have to prepare the body and place them in the chapel of rest for viewing, they aren't always out on display for people to visit, I found it quite acceptable that we had to make the appt.

I would expect to have to make an appointment.   

In my experiece the funeral director asks the family to let them know by phone at least half an hour before any proposed visit. 

It was the way I was told and not offered a appointment , I’ve seen a few other remarks about this company,in the past similar remarks

1 minute ago, maggidee said:

It was the way I was told and not offered a appointment , I’ve seen a few other remarks about this company,in the past similar remarks

I understand how you feel.

As a funeral director myself I can say that the the previous answers to this post are correct. It is usual for there to be some advance notice arranged; most funeral director premises only have one chapel of rest for viewing.  There is however absolutely no excuse whatsoever for staff to have been rude or insensitive which clearly seems to be the case in this example. 

Edited by nikki-red

Maybe the OP was upset and perceived the FD was being rude and dismissive becuase he wasn't able to have a viewing immediately ?

in my opinion ,i have always thought ring first ,then i know its okay,so thats what ive always done as sometimes the person hasnt been sorted for visitors ect.