Coffee Machines

8 hours ago, Longcol said:

The one we've bought over here in France cost us less than 20 euro and makes the best cup of coffee we've tasted outside of Italy.

Precisely.   that's what is puzzling me, Iv'e now seen one in the Argos book £800..

5 minutes ago, *Wallace* said:

Yes boiling water is supposed to scorch the coffee and make it bitter.

I always use boiling water Wally, taste's ok for me.

9 hours ago, Longcol said:

The one we've bought over here in France cost us less than 20 euro and makes the best cup of coffee we've tasted outside of Italy.

What type of machine are you talking about?

One that uses coffee in a capsule or a caffetiere.

The expensive machine that Padders has seen are probably the domestic version of the machines that are used in M&S cafes and those upmarket cafes that have sprung up in the last few years.

1 hour ago, Padders said:

I always use boiling water Wally, taste's ok for me.

Padders, if you put your boiling water in to a cold mug, the mug will absorb heat from the water. Invariably that takes the water temp down a few degrees from boiling.

I understand what Wally is referring to. The effects of putting instant coffee in to water that is too hot can be seen. A whitish film appears on top of the coffee.  I have noticed a difference in taste in that case. The water can burn the coffee.

The easy fix is put milk in the mug of freshly boiled water and give it 30 seconds.

I've come to the conclusion it's a bit like owning a watch, I have a £25 Sekonda nice looking watch, keeps excellent time, some people (especially footballers) have £5000 Rolex what simply doe's the same job.

4 minutes ago, Janus said:

Padders, if you put your boiling water in to a cold mug, the mug will absorb heat from the water. Invariably that takes the water temp down a few degrees from boiling.

I understand what Wally is referring to. The effects of putting instant coffee in to water that is too hot can be seen. A whitish film appears on top of the coffee.  I have noticed a difference in taste in that case. The water can burn the coffee.

The easy fix is put milk in the mug of freshly boiled water and give it 30 seconds.

Now you mention it, I was just thinking..

Many many years ago I used to put coffee in a mug, add boiling water then milk.. then one day, for some unknown reason, I put the milk in first and then added boiling water, tasted a lot better.   always put the milk in first now, it must help cool the boiling water.

3 hours ago, Padders said:

Now you mention it, I was just thinking..

Many many years ago I used to put coffee in a mug, add boiling water then milk.. then one day, for some unknown reason, I put the milk in first and then added boiling water, tasted a lot better.   always put the milk in first now, it must help cool the boiling water.

I didn't drink a lot of coffee when I lived over there, but if I did have instant I would use hot milk instead of water.Of course that all changed when I came to Canada and I probably drink more coffee than tea nowadays.

It's like anything, you could buy cars costing over £100k, or one costing less than £10k, they both get you from A to B. I could buy a drill costing £20 by some cheap Chinese brand or pay a lot more for Dewalt etc. I have some £15 bluetooth headphones which are OK but I also own some wired IEMs costing £300 which are awesome 🤷‍♂️

Coffee is the same. Just came back from Ukraine, was paying 75p for an awesome Americano which would cost 3 times as much here on average. I'm not a fan of instant coffee after drinking ground coffee, also I got spoiled as my last employer had a proper bean to cup machine which made me want one, however I can't yet justify £300 for one :D 

I think it's all a load of pretentious twaddle just like cheap/expensive wines. If you think it's going to taste better if you've paid more then it will! It's a way of justifying being ripped off!

2 minutes ago, lindylou53 said:

I think it's all a load of pretentious twaddle just like cheap/expensive wines. If you think it's going to taste better if you've paid more then it will! It's a way of justifying being ripped off!

That's exactly what I thought Lindy.. I mean all the different names for different variety's of coffee.. it's a cup off coffee, frothy or not frothy.

A bit like Whisky millions of different ones at 40% all get you drunk all different in one way or another it’s horses for courses.

On 25/10/2019 at 11:17, Janus said:

The water can burn the coffee.

No it can't that is just a commonly held myth, and in any case the coffee beans have been roasted already. There is no scientific reason to it at all otherwise we would not have relied on coffee percolators for so long that work by using boiling water. Using boiling water on instant coffee should make no difference at all as it's not coffee solids but coffee solubles that have already been extracted from coffee solids so the taste only varies by how much you put in and how you make it.

Now here is how to make good coffee.