Does Anyone Remember:

3 hours ago, Lord Lucan said:

Anyone wear a Balaclava as a kid

They were quite popular with the boys in winter, the odd girl wore one too. One lad I knew wore his constantly.

2 hours ago, gaz 786 said:

Dare not wear them these days fear of being branded an undesirable 🤔

Too true. Many of the boys carried pocket knives or "jack" knives, even in (junior) school. It was normal ; after all, Sheffield was where they were made. When playing out in the woods, countryside, we would carry the non-folding type in a holster clipped to our belts. Davy Crocketts we were.

5 hours ago, gaz 786 said:

Dare not wear them these days fear of being branded an undesirable 🤔

I had a leather flying helmet from the army stores.I thought I was Biggles.😃

27 minutes ago, Ontarian1981 said:

I had a leather flying helmet from the army stores.I thought I was Biggles.😃

So did I. Absolutely hated it.

2 hours ago, Gormenghast said:

So did I. Absolutely hated it.

I told other kids that my uncle(didn't have a dad) was a spitfire pilot and that the helmet belonged to him. Then a lot of other kids showed up in them. Lol

9 hours ago, carosio said:

They were quite popular with the boys in winter, the odd girl wore one too. One lad I knew wore his constantly.

I can imagine the dried snot stains.:hihi:

On 16/11/2019 at 13:12, Lord Lucan said:

Anyone have to wear Thermogene as a kid?

1 hour ago, Lord Lucan said:

Anyone have to wear Thermogene as a kid?

NO - I had to look that one up , and can't remember it - but can't remember things isn't anything new - LOL

Mum's favorite was Germolene.

Or when she wasn't using it for her hair  Peroxide for minor cut's and grazes.

Happy daze watching the Peroxide bubble up !

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thermogene Medicated Wadding (Beecham Pharmaceuticals) is impregnated with capsicum oleoresin 2'86% and methyl salicylate 0-03%.

A square put on your chest before your vest was supposed to ease your chest and your cough. It was pink or orange.

I remember Thermogene on a roll. Cut a piece off and slapped it on your chest.

A spoonful of cod liver oil and malt. Cannot remember if any of it worked though.

If you had mumps a scarf was put under your chin and tied on top of your head. We must have looked silly.

I can remember my step-father spreading Fiery Jack on his chest and then putting Thermogene on top. After about 10 minutes his chest looked like it had been under a grill. We also had Vick inhalations with you head covered with a towel and hot water put in a bowl with the Vick in. He also tried a Belladonna plaster on his back once and when my mother ripped it of he looked like a Leopard with the marks the holes had left.

Edited by Kidorry

I lived next door to Binneys newsagents on Barber Rd and on Sunday's helped selling the newspapers.

The ones not delivered were saved till collected and named  on top.

I always remember asking who was called lamplighter and getting the explanation that he lit the gas lamps and did the knocking up

When  the sacks of coal were delivered through the grate in the pavement I was always sent to the top of the cellar steps to count how many bags were tipped.

Dad used to use a seaside sand bucket to make what we called mud pies from the coal dust I think he put a bit of cement to make them set. They burnt on the fire for hours.

On 19/11/2019 at 17:46, gaz 786 said:

Bet your names carved on a few trees 😜I noticed my name and Dave pickards scratched into the plinth of kepples column gaz c 1977 along with loads of other Monica's😱😱😱😱

Possibly carved on the wood panelling that surrounded the local sweet shop window, we were only angels 99% of the time!

1 hour ago, carosio said:

Possibly carved on the wood panelling that surrounded the local sweet shop window, we were only angels 99% of the time!

And, of course. memorialized in any wet concrete we found!