Does Anyone Remember:

2 hours ago, pitsmoorboy said:

Can anyone still remember White Dog <removed>?

That was when dogs ate bones.

1 hour ago, hillsbro said:

I remember binmen emptying the bin into something like a tin bath, then humping it on their shoulder  and tipping it into the lorry.

1 hour ago, Gormenghast said:

I remember binmen emptying the bin into something like a tin bath, then humping it on their shoulder  and tipping it into the lorry.

Yes, here they are. http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s12522&prevUrl=

9 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Lol - I was doing that in Stocksbridge in 1974.

Bins? We we had long brown paper bags with a wire mesh around it on a stand but the foxes still got to them scrounging. 

9 hours ago, hillsbro said:

That license plate prefix GWE, was very popular in Sheffield in the late 50's, along with EWE.

We assumed it identified only Sheffield licensed vehicles?

12 hours ago, hillsbro said:

The better ones where they put the bins on at the bottom and then pulled a leaver that lifted the bin to the top and tipped it over.  Sometimes, they needed to pull the leaver several times whilst the bin was at the top to remove some stuck contents.  Enthralling for a young lad watching.

I was fascinated by the bin lorry in the early 70's and watched for them every week. I had a favourite bin man called John, who always waved. There was always a doll, or teddy bear or somesuch tied to the radiator on the front of the waggon.

41 minutes ago, trastrick said:

That license plate prefix GWE, was very popular in Sheffield in the late 50's, along with EWE.

We assumed it identified only Sheffield licensed vehicles?

Sheffield's original (early 1900s) vehicle registration letter was W, then later others such as WA, WB, WE and WJ were added (I remember these from my 1950s car-spotting days!) Wikipedia gives more details - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_the_United_Kingdom

23 hours ago, jaffa1 said:

Bins? We we had long brown paper bags with a wire mesh around it on a stand but the foxes still got to them scrounging. 

I remember those. They were never quite big enough to fit on the stand. When it rained they fell apart 😯This was at Stannington when it was part of Wortley District Council.

Edited by Daven

I recall the french onion sellers well,he used to rock up on his bike,my old Mum ALWAYS had onions off him,theyd be on strings over his handle bars.

I remember the old metal bins too,those old binmen must have been really fit,as the actual bin itself was quite heavy,each compartment would have a roller shutter and theyd fill each segment as they drove along your road,they picked up any crap they dropped as well,ours were mostly local blokes,I was at school with one of their daughters.

Used to be a van called around on fridays as well,a bell would ring hed open his back doors full of ice and shout FRESH FISH,always told my Mum they were fresh off the boat that morning from Grimsby docks,no supermarkets back then.

Edited by staninoodle