Does Anyone Remember:

Maybe all those punks back in the day are now too embarrassed to admit it Nic.

Angel1.

Edited by ANGELFIRE1

44 minutes ago, Nic T said:

I remember Mr Maikison, the coal man. Used to deliver to our house. Who ever kept coal in the kitchen? We did. Remember Jock the rag and bone man too. Used to have a horse and cart. Sometimes a barrow with metal wheels. His yard was on Broadfield road. I remember a working gas lamp too. Near the snuff works, top of froggate walk, near Cemetery road cemetery. Does anyone remember the 2 or 3 tiny cottages that were near the bottom of Tyzacks, Little London Road works? Lived on Chesterfield Road until they widened it and pulled our house down. 

The cottages have been covered on the forum before - looks like they were called Primrose cottages.

see 'Little London Rd, Heeley in 30's & 40's' I think i can vaguely remember them? certainly remember

the walkway through Tyzac's and the wooden bridge over the river.

I can remember falling off a Lambretta under the iron bridge on little London Rd, apparently there had been a oil tanker who had tried to go under the low bridge & didn't quite make it, spilling some of it's load. I changed down a gear for the corner and the scooter went from under me. Serves me right for borrowing the thing in the first place - lol.

Thats something i remember about Sheffield there was always Lambretta side pannels laying at the side of the road.

There was another well known working gas lamp at the top of Oakhill Rd, Netheredge, Roger Moffet was always on about it,

God Bless Him. 

9 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

The cottages have been covered on the forum before - looks like they were called Primrose cottages.

see 'Little London Rd, Heeley in 30's & 40's' I think i can vaguely remember them? certainly remember

the walkway through Tyzac's and the wooden bridge over the river.

I can remember falling off a Lambretta under the iron bridge on little London Rd, apparently there had been a oil tanker who had tried to go under the low bridge & didn't quite make it, spilling some of it's load. I changed down a gear for the corner and the scooter went from under me. Serves me right for borrowing the thing in the first place - lol.

Thats something i remember about Sheffield there was always Lambretta side pannels laying at the side of the road.

There was another well known working gas lamp at the top of Oakhill Rd, Netheredge, Roger Moffet was always on about it,

God Bless Him. 

The Gas Lamp that Roger Moffet referred to and eventually he painted it, was opposite the top of Union Road on Brincliffe Edge road at the side of a police box which was built into the wall.

3 hours ago, Lord Lucan said:

The Gas Lamp that Roger Moffet referred to and eventually he painted it, was opposite the top of Union Road on Brincliffe Edge road at the side of a police box which was built into the wall.

Union Rd - Oakhill Rd - what's 100 yds between friends?

Cheers Rockers Rule.

I'll check that out. Yeah, I remember it was always flooded there when there was any rain. And the strong sulphur smell when you walked down the jennel to cross the wooden bridge. Your spill, and comment about scooter engine covers made me laugh. 

4 hours ago, Nic T said:

Cheers Rockers Rule.

I'll check that out. Yeah, I remember it was always flooded there when there was any rain. And the strong sulphur smell when you walked down the jennel to cross the wooden bridge. Your spill, and comment about scooter engine covers made me laugh. 

Hello Nic. i was quite suprised how deep that culvert is and to have seen it flood over with from my memory tumbling brown water was quite impressive. Little London Rd has certainly changed. Moved out of Sheff in 89 so havn't kept up with all the changes. Googled map't (street view) it recently (easier than driving over & saves on petrol) (is that my Scottishness showing through?)

Didn't even know that big pub was there or they'd turned the btm half of it into a one way. certainly changed from when we used to motorcycle it down there when we'd finished working at the CO-OP's  bottling plat on Archer rd.

Happy Daze.

10 hours ago, Lord Lucan said:

Hello Lord,

I can remember listning to the radio with Mr Moffet going on about how he had got himself (yet again) into trouble for painting the lamp - then there was the time he had posted a letter in a post box that was no longer in service up Brincliff Edge, or the time he couldn't get in his car because the locks were frozen up. didn't matter about keeping to any play list when he was on one of his rants - lol.  Happy Daze seeing Mr Moffet in the town centre - why did he allways seem to be in a hurry?

When did the Police box go? tell you the truth I can't remember it (now't new there). I can't find any mention of it or old photo's. 

You can see from the few pictures on't internet that the wall next to the lamp has been rebuilt and I don't doubt you for a second it's just I can't remember it. spent many hours walking, cycling and wagging Skool around there (Abbeydale Grange) good mate of mine lived on Oak Hill & part of my window cleaning round included B/ Edge & Union Rd, but I can't picture the Police box. i have tried to avoid police box's though as i've gone through life.

Little strange the Lamp is grade two listed yet the Police Box was allowed to disappear.

Strange how you forgett somethings and then start remembering other things.

there was a police box at the btm of Montague St (Stalker Wk).

12 hours ago, Lord Lucan said:

There's a photo of it on this web page, also details of Sheffield's other "Sewer Gas Destructor Lamps".  http://alancordwell.co.uk/Legacy/misc/webb.html

Hi Angelfire.

Yeah, never thought of that. Still, happy Daze.

Hi Rockers Rule.

So, you worked in the dairy, as we used to call it? Just down from Heeley baths? Not been in that region for quite some time, so I'll have to google the changes, as you did. Used to go to Meersbrook Bank school as a nipper. Then to Newfield. Do you remember the Jester Cafe on Chesterfield Road? Used to go to the KGB dance hall too, underneath the Abbeydale pictures. Think it might have changed to a snooker hall if it's still there. If you were into scooters, perhaps you remember Armando's? 

Yeah. Happy Daze. 

On 14/12/2019 at 10:32, Nic T said:

Hi. 

New to this site. Although not to Sheffield. I was checking out some old punk bands on YouTube from the late 70s and early 80. In full reminiscence mode. Watched some video of a band called, I'm So Hollow, that was filmed at Weston Park in Sheffield. There were loads of other bands there too. Worth a watch, but please excuse the sound quality. No mixing desks, and very raw sound. Can anyone remember going to X Clothes in Leeds to buy your punk essentials? Gigs at the Marples, Top Rank, Limit, The Broadfied on Broadfield road. And many more. Used to hang with friends from Newfield School. Robbo, McGoo, Bill, Bentley, Amanda Lindley, Rachel Tyzack. Drinking in the White Lion Etc etc. Would love to share stories of this time with anyone out there who might remember these times, or people. 

Cheers. Nic.

There was an X clothes in Sheffield. Cambridge St ? and a similar shop upstairs on Division St. (few shops up from The Albert.

another one near the Howard Hotel allways had Punk, Teddy boy Clothing.

X shops always had a good selection of Brothel creepers for us Teddy Boys and we did go to leeds X clothes now and again as well.

Never did the punk rock scene but it sure did put life back into the music scene at the time.

We  watched probably one of the first Punk bands (pre Sex Pistols) many times, they were from Sheffield and called themselves - 

' Musical Vomit' wish i'd got photo's or footage of them -  You might have heard of them they went on to be known as 'the Human League'

Anyone remember the pair of UNION JACK BROTHEL CREEPERS that were part of the display in Pippy's window?

One of only 8 pairs made.

It took some serious haggling but I eventualy managed to buy them, just before it shut down, took some doing but I got them.

And I've still got them. (Hoarder)

Nice piece of Sheffield History.

Rock on

25 minutes ago, Nic T said:

Hi Rockers Rule.

So, you worked in the dairy, as we used to call it? Just down from Heeley baths? Not been in that region for quite some time, so I'll have to google the changes, as you did. Used to go to Meersbrook Bank school as a nipper. Then to Newfield. Do you remember the Jester Cafe on Chesterfield Road? Used to go to the KGB dance hall too, underneath the Abbeydale pictures. Think it might have changed to a snooker hall if it's still there. If you were into scooters, perhaps you remember Armando's? 

Yeah. Happy Daze. 

I worked at the other dairy (co-op) on Archer Rd.

Sharrow Lane & Abbeydale Grange is were I was tort - (joke)

Amando's was at the bottom of our Rd (Randall St) long time pulled down.

No not into Lambi's although i must admit to having had a couple, when you

needed something to get to work on you couldn't be too proud back then.

Can you still buy them for £30?