Does Anyone Remember:

The Soon guys going door to door selling out of a suitcase

Sikh guy selling out of a suitrcas.

Bin men knocking on the door wishing you a Merry Christmas with there hand out

4 hours ago, desy said:

Sikh guy selling out of a suitrcas.

Bin men knocking on the door wishing you a Merry Christmas with there hand out

Father in law used to work for the CO-OP when they delivered milk with horse and cart.

Christmas  was about the only time us Milkmen shut gates as well - LOL

How come it was always the grumpy ones that gave the biggest tips at Christmas?

Happy days, early starts, early finishes in all weathers &  proper milk bottles,

- still wake up at 4am even now - Happy days 

Collin's horse and cart loaded with rags and goldfish parked outside the local pub at lunchtime, the driver inside having a few. Believe it's still an offence to be drunk in charge of a horse!

15 hours ago, carosio said:

Collin's horse and cart loaded with rags and goldfish parked outside the local pub at lunchtime, the driver inside having a few. Believe it's still an offence to be drunk in charge of a horse!

They were good at loading pushbikes out of back yards as well !

Sunday lunchtimes after the milkrounds we'd have our Yorkshires (strange Yorkshire custom) then off

to the Pub for a few pints before dinner, often the Sheldon near Collins's - Happy Daze.

Years later the Sheldon was run by Tommy Hoyland Ex Sheff Utd (& ex milkman)

Any one out there remember a pub at the top of John St ?

I can't remember it's name, had a lane to one side that led up to Benett St.

It's not in my 1972 Kelly's.

12 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Any one out there remember a pub at the top of John St ?

I can't remember it's name, had a lane to one side that led up to Benett St.

It's not in my 1972 Kelly's.

This one?

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s21747&prevUrl=

8 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

Thank you Jim, Great Britain Hotel, could picture it but the name eluded me (Age thing) - Thanks.

Just found this on our very own Sheffield Forum.

started by Suprisestorm Jan 2010 reguarding the very same pub including this by Resarf.

which confirms my memory of the alleyway on to Bennet St.

A freind of mine lived in the same yard as the pub and another in the yard below that yard served both the houses

on John St and some on Hill St making it larger than than the usual 4 houses to one yard if memory serves me right?

Resarf

• Members
  •  
  • 2 posts
  • Joined Jun 2014

When I lived in The Great Britain , John Street at the back of it was a very long yard that opened with large gates onto the road behind. This was where the beer was delivered. There was a large pigeon loft and hens to the right hand side and the eggs were sold to the locals in the pub in the war during food rationing. Also my Nan used to make large platters of Yorkshire pudding that was on the bar on Sundays. The pub was always packed. Resarf, Somerset.

5 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

A freind of mine lived in the same yard as the pub and another in the yard below that yard served both the houses

on John St and some on Hill St making it larger than than the usual 4 houses to one yard if memory serves me right?

Correct. 

Bottom right hand corner.

post-188-1220941199.jpg

3 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

Correct. 

Bottom right hand corner.

post-188-1220941199.jpg

Thank you Jim. 

I was given a double adult sidecar that was in the larger back yard but couldn't move it - lol 

Amando's first shop was on the other corner, before they moved further up Hill St.

Happy Daze.

Hi. 

New to this site. Although not to Sheffield. I was checking out some old punk bands on YouTube from the late 70s and early 80. In full reminiscence mode. Watched some video of a band called, I'm So Hollow, that was filmed at Weston Park in Sheffield. There were loads of other bands there too. Worth a watch, but please excuse the sound quality. No mixing desks, and very raw sound. Can anyone remember going to X Clothes in Leeds to buy your punk essentials? Gigs at the Marples, Top Rank, Limit, The Broadfied on Broadfield road. And many more. Used to hang with friends from Newfield School. Robbo, McGoo, Bill, Bentley, Amanda Lindley, Rachel Tyzack. Drinking in the White Lion Etc etc. Would love to share stories of this time with anyone out there who might remember these times, or people. 

Cheers. Nic.

I remember Mr Maikison, the coal man. Used to deliver to our house. Who ever kept coal in the kitchen? We did. Remember Jock the rag and bone man too. Used to have a horse and cart. Sometimes a barrow with metal wheels. His yard was on Broadfield road. I remember a working gas lamp too. Near the snuff works, top of froggate walk, near Cemetery road cemetery. Does anyone remember the 2 or 3 tiny cottages that were near the bottom of Tyzacks, Little London Road works? Lived on Chesterfield Road until they widened it and pulled our house down.