Does Anyone Remember:

14 minutes ago, jaffa1 said:

My grandson thought I was kidding him when I told him our toilet was at the bottom of the yard and a shared one at that, two households to each toilet.

Yes, I was born on Low Road, Woodland View, and we shared an outdoor toilet with next door.  But as you say it was quite normal and we didn't complain. When I was 3 we moved to Dykes Hall Road and we were posh - we had our own loo! But it was still across the yard - see here. https://i.postimg.cc/SNfB7RNF/20-Dykes-Hall-Road-toilet-bedroom.jpg

3 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

I remmember my Gran taking us on the outer circular bus for a trip out when we were young.  

I know we caught it at Bocking  lane but can't remmember where it went to exactly.

One section of the route went from Malin Bridge to Rivelin Post Office then up Manchester Rd to Crosspool.

19 minutes ago, carosio said:

One section of the route went from Malin Bridge to Rivelin Post Office then up Manchester Rd to Crosspool.

The 1954 timetable gives the No 2 route/fare stages as Malin Bridge – Rivelin Post Office – Bell Hagg – Sandygate Road – Fulwood Road – Wragby Road – Greystones Road – Carterknowle Road – Firbeck Road – Scarsdale Road – Graves Park – Oakes Park – Gleadless Road – Elm Tree – Beaumont Road – Darnall – Coleford Road – Tinsley Park Road – Tinsley Depot (Weedon Street) – Brightside Tram Terminus – Tipton Street – Newman Road – Robin Hood Road – Shiregreen Cemetery – Sheffield Lane Top – Crowder Road – Moonshine Lane – Penistone Road – Parkside Road – Middlewood Road – Holme Lane – Malin Bridge. The No 3 went in the opposite direction.

13 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

I remmember my Gran taking us on the outer circular bus for a trip out when we were young.  

I know we caught it at Bocking  lane but can't remmember where it went to exactly.

At a guess, if it was a "circular" then it went all the way round and back to where you started 🙂

13 hours ago, hillsbro said:

Oh the nostalgia! You woke up in the morning, snug in bed. Most of you was warm enough but your nose-end was freezing. You could see a layer of ice on the inside of the the bedroom window, beyond which was a Christmas-card scene of snow lying 'deep and crisp and even'. Grabbing a pullover you went down the stairs and across the yard to the sub-zero outside loo. Needless to say, someone had used the last square of 'Daily Herald' from the rusty nail on the back of the door and, of course, the Tilley lamp had gone out during the night and the cistern was frozen solid. Back to bed, pausing on the way to put a match to the fire that had been carefully laid the night before, and hoping that by the time you had to get up for school the living-room would be several degrees above zero. The good old days? 🤨

I remember it well! Getting out of bed in winter was always a challenge. Used to put the frozen trousers under the covers to warm them up before putting them on, then a quick face wash in ice cold water, light the fire, and off to deliver the morning papers before school. If you were really lucky, there might be night watchman's little hut with an oil drum fire  on the route.

All the kids had "candles" running down their noses, which they wiped off with their sleeves.

We were a hardy lot. They say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and they were right!

I went round pressing button B to see if anyone had forgotten and their money came out. You have to be of a certain age to understand that.

16 hours ago, hillsbro said:

The 1954 timetable gives the No 2 route/fare stages as Malin Bridge – Rivelin Post Office – Bell Hagg – Sandygate Road – Fulwood Road – Wragby Road – Greystones Road – Carterknowle Road – Firbeck Road – Scarsdale Road – Graves Park – Oakes Park – Gleadless Road – Elm Tree – Beaumont Road – Darnall – Coleford Road – Tinsley Park Road – Tinsley Depot (Weedon Street) – Brightside Tram Terminus – Tipton Street – Newman Road – Robin Hood Road – Shiregreen Cemetery – Sheffield Lane Top – Crowder Road – Moonshine Lane – Penistone Road – Parkside Road – Middlewood Road – Holme Lane – Malin Bridge. The No 3 went in the opposite direction.

Bell Hagg pub- there was a quarry opposite and occassionally we heard "booms" across the Rivelin valley which were believed to be the blasting in the quarry.

33 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

I went round pressing button B to see if anyone had forgotten and their money came out. You have to be of a certain age to understand that.

4 old pennies it was for a local call. Always remembered the perfumed aroma that was left when the phone box cleaning ladies had finished their job.

53 minutes ago, carosio said:

4 old pennies it was for a local call...

Some of us are old enough to remember when you only needed 3 old pennies 🙁. I think it went up to 4d in 1957. Here is a scan from the 1954 bus timetable showing the Outer Circle route. https://i.postimg.cc/PrLWRb6m/No-2.jpg

17 hours ago, hillsbro said:

BIG THANKS. I'm sure we caught the bus at Bocking Lane and headed upwards it rings a bell as Rivelin being part of the journey but we (my Brother and me) were only young and it would be a few years later than 54 probably early 60's. I wonder how much the 1954 timetable route would cost nowadays ??? 

On 28/10/2019 at 17:07, pitsmoorboy said:

Can anyone still remember White Dog <removed>?

We had a chap called Mr Cox came round Worrall selling fruit and veg came early Sat morning would be late when he had finished,also a Rag Man called Danny  Wright think they lived Hillsborough Area.