Does Anyone Remember:

On 02/11/2019 at 07:19, hillsbro said:

Yes - my mistake, Barnsley was HE!

We lived in Barnsley for a short time when our first child was a toddler, we bought him a ride on bus at Christmas and funnily enough the registration was "1 THE".  When our neighbour ( a local bloke with a strong Barnsley accent) saw it he said "Tha reight, tha's gorrareightun theer, tha's gorra Barnsley bus" to the bewilderment of our youngster.

One of our cars was a powder blue Austin A35 registration 880 BTC, funny how the registrations stick in your mind even though we've had dozens of cars since, can't recall our current one!

Regards,

Duffems

15 hours ago, Lord Lucan said:

Toast made by the fire on toasting forks. We made at School a Toasting fork in the Engineering class Circa 1960

I still did that quite recently on a campfire.

There also were "kipper holders",  a foldable, hand-held wire rack in which the kipper would be cooked over the hot coals, the juices flaring up as they dropped  into the fire.

A Liberty bodice and poultices for various ailments!

I remember liberty bodices with their rubber buttons. They couldn't have been more wrongly named.

Also gaberdines and scooter scarves.

Stone hot water bottles.

Making rag rugs out of old clothes.

On 03/11/2019 at 09:42, DUFFEMS said:

We lived in Barnsley for a short time when our first child was a toddler, we bought him a ride on bus at Christmas and funnily enough the registration was "1 THE".  When our neighbour ( a local bloke with a strong Barnsley accent) saw it he said "Tha reight, tha's gorrareightun theer, tha's gorra Barnsley bus" to the bewilderment of our youngster.

One of our cars was a powder blue Austin A35 registration 880 BTC, funny how the registrations stick in your mind even though we've had dozens of cars since, can't recall our current one!

Regards,

Duffems

I mis-read that as "a ride on a bus" for his Christmas present!

2 hours ago, TWhits said:

I mis-read that as "a ride on a bus" for his Christmas present!

That would have been a bit mean for a Christmas present, even in the early 70's!

On 05/11/2019 at 00:18, Rollypolly said:

I remember liberty bodices with their rubber buttons. They couldn't have been more wrongly named.

Also gaberdines and scooter scarves.

Stone hot water bottles.

Making rag rugs out of old clothes.

Stone Hot water bottles. Yes, But if they were not kept  upright they sometimes leaked.

Even the rubber ones could split and leak.

The Windows in my bedroom in the snowy winter were full iced over on the inside

On 05/11/2019 at 11:22, DUFFEMS said:

That would have been a bit mean for a Christmas present, even in the early 70's!

I remmember my Gran taking us on the outer circular bus for a trip out when we were young.  

I know we caught it at Bocking  lane but can't remmember where it went to exactly.

9 hours ago, Lord Lucan said:

Stone Hot water bottles. Yes, But if they were not kept  upright they sometimes leaked.

Even the rubber ones could split and leak.

The Windows in my bedroom in the snowy winter were full iced over on the inside

Stone hot water bottles were for  the better off, we had the fire brick or the oven plate which was taken out of the blacklead oven then wrapped in an old piece of sheet or blanket, it seemed to stay warm all night.

9 hours ago, Lord Lucan said:

... The Windows in my bedroom in the snowy winter were full iced over on the inside.

Oh the nostalgia! You woke up in the morning, snug in bed. Most of you was warm enough but your nose-end was freezing. You could see a layer of ice on the inside of the the bedroom window, beyond which was a Christmas-card scene of snow lying 'deep and crisp and even'. Grabbing a pullover you went down the stairs and across the yard to the sub-zero outside loo. Needless to say, someone had used the last square of 'Daily Herald' from the rusty nail on the back of the door and, of course, the Tilley lamp had gone out during the night and the cistern was frozen solid. Back to bed, pausing on the way to put a match to the fire that had been carefully laid the night before, and hoping that by the time you had to get up for school the living-room would be several degrees above zero. The good old days? 🤨

2 hours ago, hillsbro said:

Oh the nostalgia! You woke up in the morning, snug in bed. Most of you was warm enough but your nose-end was freezing. You could see a layer of ice on the inside of the the bedroom window, beyond which was a Christmas-card scene of snow lying 'deep and crisp and even'. Grabbing a pullover you went down the stairs and across the yard to the sub-zero outside loo. Needless to say, someone had used the last square of 'Daily Herald' from the rusty nail on the back of the door and, of course, the Tilley lamp had gone out during the night and the cistern was frozen solid. Back to bed, pausing on the way to put a match to the fire that had been carefully laid the night before, and hoping that by the time you had to get up for school the living-room would be several degrees above zero. The good old days? 🤨

But did we complain ? No it was all quite normal to us, everyone was in the same boat, we never knew any better until many years later when things improved for us all.

I don't  regret  those days it just makes us appreciate  what we have today .

My grandson thought I was kidding him when I told him our toilet was at the bottom of the yard and a shared one at that, two households to each toilet.

Edited by jaffa1