Does Anyone Remember:

22 minutes ago, Ontarian1981 said:

I grew up around Catcliffe and Brinsworth in the 50s and I could go out on my bike on Sunday for an hour or more and never see a car. Lol

Meadowhead in 1956. Not a car in sight.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s17879&pos=104&action=zoom&id=20475

Hillsbro mentions the ISpy books that were the essential accompaniment to the arduous trip to the coast that seemed to take forever. 

I Spy at the Seaside , my favourite, but was generally extremely disappointed not to find an albatross or, a one legged seaman which reduced my chance of being  Big Chief I Spy to zero.

We were in the AA rather than RAC and had the beautiful chrome badge gleaming on the radiator. The sheer joy of being saluted by a passing AA patrolman is something that’s sadly missing from the modern day motoring experience 

2 hours ago, Dreb48 said:

Hillsbro mentions the ISpy books that were the essential accompaniment to the arduous trip to the coast that seemed to take forever. 

I Spy at the Seaside , my favourite, but was generally extremely disappointed not to find an albatross or, a one legged seaman which reduced my chance of being  Big Chief I Spy to zero.

We were in the AA rather than RAC and had the beautiful chrome badge gleaming on the radiator. The sheer joy of being saluted by a passing AA patrolman is something that’s sadly missing from the modern day motoring experience 

Don't know about a one legged seaman but I. was really disappointed when I found out the seaside at Cleethorpes wasn't even the sea.I even asked my mam what country that was that you could faintly see from the beach.😣

10 hours ago, carosio said:

On Bin Day, you could hear clanging of bin lids a mile off, always woke everyone up early in the morning, there was no double glazing in those days.

In our yard, there was, outside every back door, a bin on its concrete stand and the binman would run in, throw off the lid, hoist it onto his shoulder (protected with a leather saddle) and run off to the lorry at the end of the street and tip in the contents, (half of which could be fire ash) then return the bin to its stand. Due to complaints over the racket the Council supplied a type of rubber lid, possibly after 1970.

The coalman also had a very physical job; he would hoist a full 1 cwt sack of coal onto his shoulder, walk with it a fair distance from his lorry, then tip it straight down the outside coal grate. Many couldn't do this type of job.  A friend tried the binman's job and only lasted a week. Nearly killed him.

This was filmed in 1969. Lol

Remember scrapping bitumin from the cobble sets and rolling it into a ball the top of wood street traffic lights.

Not chestnut man in Pond street (Barry Blacks dad) in the 50,,s

Tag men walking round the streets and you got a goldfish or s balloon for the tags.

Playing on old deralict factories during the slum clearance in upperthorpe/Netherthorpe.

Being able to step off back loader buses when they went that slow between stops.

7 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

I remember ET being Rotherham and Petula Clark paying handsomely for an old car with the reg. PET 1.

Yes, ET was Rotherham, EH was Barnsley and DT was Doncaster. My dad's motorbike, an LE Velocette, was PET 661 - I suppose the number would be quite valuable now.

11 minutes ago, hillsbro said:

Yes, ET was Rotherham, EH was Barnsley and DT was Doncaster. My dad's motorbike, an LE Velocette, was PET 661 - I suppose the number would be quite valuable now.

6 minutes ago, hillsbro said:

Wasn't Barnsley HE?   I had a bike WET 409, a '54 Morris Oxford RAT 440, and back in 50s father had an Austin van LRF 1, although fancy plates had no value then.

8 hours ago, carosio said:

Wasn't Barnsley HE? ...

Yes - my mistake, Barnsley was HE!

Remember old tires and a stick?

Some lads used bike rims, too noisy.  Car tires were heavy to steer with a stick.

The best ones  were motor bike tires, just the right size and weight to control.

Somebody mentioned orange box swords.  Some bin lids were perfect shields for the stone throwing gang wars we had!

Edited by trastrick

1 hour ago, hillsbro said:

Yes - my mistake, Barnsley was HE!

I was told as a kid that the Queen had  her official car registered in Barnsley  as THE 1.

10 hours ago, hillsbro said:

Try   www.nicereg.com.uk /info/areaofissue

My first Big Bike BSA A10 (with sidecar and L plates) 944 DA - (Wolverhampton)

What a registration for a Teddy boy - whish I'd have kept it long enough for when

Porsche brought out their 944.

I had a Mk6 Reliant Regal (the round one before Dell boy was even thought of) 

ending in ND - (Manchester).

Back on subject I remember when Onions didn't have a sell by date.

Didn't Onions and other veg last forever back then? not a few days like we buy 

from super markets now??????

What about the old guy's who used to Shaddow box? 

there was always one at the bottom of the Moor (when it had a roundabout).

and there was one near the old (proper) Market i remember. 

Toast made by the fire on toasting forks. We made at School a Toasting fork in the Engineering class Circa 1960