Does Anyone Remember:

Does Anyone Remember: The French Onion sellers on Bicycles? The Road Sweepers with Horse & Carts on Cobbled Roads?

The Street lamps with actual gas? The Food Ration Books?

3 hours ago, Lord Lucan said:

Does Anyone Remember: The French Onion sellers on Bicycles? The Road Sweepers with Horse & Carts on Cobbled Roads?

The Street lamps with actual gas? The Food Ration Books?

Plus the walls ice cream man on the bike and the milk man who sold you the milk from the churn. By the way I still have my ration book.

1 hour ago, Kidorry said:

Plus the walls ice cream man on the bike and the milk man who sold you the milk from the churn. By the way I still have my ration book.

Is this Project Fear? 😱

The greengrocer with his horse and cart used to come round Meersbrook, when the horse peed at the top of  Upper Valley Road all us kids used to race it down the road,  oh what entertainment.

We used to collect the horse's manure for the garden too. Does anyone recall the name of the greengrocer, was it Billie Makinson?

"Kick can", "touch burners", turnips cut out to make lanterns (didn't they stink!), never knew what a pumpkin was.

"Whip and top" with tops that broke windows, plastic rockets with caps in, spud guns, making swords out of old orange crates and best of all...…..home made trolleys!

I remember all of the ones mentioned.  Do you remember the suitcase salesmen?  Betterware? Easyclean?  Oatcake/pikelet man on bikes. On rare occasions a knife sharpening man and bike with little grindstone attachment in a box...

Suitcase salesman used to sell dusters, tea towels and other stuff I can't remember, also a Sikh gentleman sold socks out of his suitcase, that would be into the 70s.

Plus, the vacuum cleaner salesman would call.

I remember the onion man very well.  Also the "stop me and buy one" Walls ice cream cart, the man rode a bike with a big ice box on the front.  I still have my families ration books,they came in very  useful when my children and others were learning about the last war!  The man who came to service the Hoover every year.  

The piano tuner, the chimney sweep and the rag and bone man who gave you a goldfish in return for old clothes.

12 hours ago, scousemouse said:

I remember the onion man very well.  Also the "stop me and buy one" Walls ice cream cart, the man rode a bike with a big ice box on the front.  I still have my families ration books,they came in very  useful when my children and others were learning about the last war!  The man who came to service the Hoover every year.  

I still have a thank you scroll from King George that was given to all school children  after the war and a leaflet explaining what you could get when the National Health Service started. Along with a couple of my brothers Identity cards and ration book. Those were the days.

Home Made Potted Beef from your local Butchers, 

Prem (Sliced Luncheon Meat)

Rissoles from the local Chippy.

Penny Duck.

Dripping Cakes.

3 hours ago, Lord Lucan said:

Home Made Potted Beef from your local Butchers, 

Prem (Sliced Luncheon Meat)

Rissoles from the local Chippy.

Penny Duck.

Dripping Cakes.

Gravy dips.

On 24/10/2019 at 11:41, hillgirl said:

I remember all of the ones mentioned.  Do you remember the suitcase salesmen?  Betterware? Easyclean?  Oatcake/pikelet man on bikes. On rare occasions a knife sharpening man and bike with little grindstone attachment in a box...

Can anyone still remember White Dog <removed>?

Edited by nikki-red