What Is Intelligence?

I was poor at school compared to what school children get today.

But is intelligence about remembering stuff?

I work with someone and I think they are not very bright, a very swallow thinker.

I believe intelligence is gene related. They say you get so many genes from your parents, then the rest are new ones.

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

I was poor at school compared to what school children get today.

But is intelligence about remembering stuff?

I work with someone and I think they are not very bright, a very swallow thinker.

Does your workmate choke on his words or something?😶

15 minutes ago, Ontarian1981 said:

Does your workmate choke on his words or something?😶

She doesnt listen, I noticed that. I am talking, then she tells me what she thinks, before I have finished talking.

There are several very different types of intelligence, all of which humanity needs to survive. Someone like, say Wayne Rooney, would be considered as unintelligent by many people but in fact he possesses a rare form of intelligence which includes things like very accurate spacial awareness, timing, etc. Someone may be a professor of chemical engineering and could easily explain the molecular structure of petrol, but wouldn't have a clue under the bonnet of a car.

15 minutes ago, El Cid said:

She doesnt listen, I noticed that. I am talking, then she tells me what she thinks, before I have finished talking.

You said SHE doesn't let you finish talking. I think you've answered your own question 😂

15 minutes ago, Magneteer said:

There are several very different types of intelligence, all of which humanity needs to survive. Someone like, say Wayne Rooney, would be considered as unintelligent by many people but in fact he possesses a rare form of intelligence which includes things like very accurate spacial awareness, timing, etc. Someone may be a professor of chemical engineering and could easily explain the molecular structure of petrol, but wouldn't have a clue under the bonnet of a car.

You said SHE doesn't let you finish talking. I think you've answered your own question 😂

Oh boy, I can almost hearHalibut typing as I reply to your post.👹

Edited by Ontarian1981

When i was at school many many years ago, there was more them one boy who was terrible at maths but, he could reckon a complicated horse racing bet up in no time.

where they intelligent?  

In life you have to learn how to learn, can't explain in principal how that works, but it does believe me.

1 hour ago, Dardandec said:

In life you have to learn how to learn, can't explain in principal how that works, but it does believe me.

Just say for instance my inteligence was 75% compared to others, I believe I would increase that because I am good at thinking, where as some dont seem to use much of their brain at all.

Some people have fixed views and they dont seem to be able to get passed that.

6 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Just say for instance my inteligence was 75% compared to others, I believe I would increase that because I am good at thinking, where as some dont seem to use much of their brain at all.

Some people have fixed views and they dont seem to be able to get passed that.

I do think it's important to listen to other peoples views on things, to hear out their argument. Equally that doesn't mean you have to agree with them and it's good to know your own opinion, your own perspective and stand by it. It would be a dull world if we all thought the same things and had the exact same beliefs. 

There are several types of intelligence. The ability to learn is one component part. Realising why, how, where and when to apply knowledge is another. But a definition of intelligence needs, in my opinion, to be of a form that gives clues about how to make artificial intelligence work across a wide spectrum of problems. 

Some People are good Academically, Some Are Practical, some have good memory, but

imho, from experience,  people who have a Degree or studied for a degree prior to having a Job, tend to lack any common sense or practical skills.

So I guess it depends on How? you measure people's intelligence, like IQ, exams, practical skills, mental skill, arithmetic, few people manage all of these skills!