Anyone Need Help With The New Windows Patch - Black Screen

Hi, does anyone get a black screen after installing the latest update?

I can help fix it in 10 minutes 

Let me know if this is bugging you as I found a permanent solution.

This ****** me off for ages and all the net advice didn't work.

Just wondered how many people were plagued by the black screen of death permanently on boot up.

The new Windows update has completely messed my computer up, lost apps and programmes,  tried re install just as bad. Looks like new computer needed. Microsoft always seem to create problems with updates.

Which version of Windows is affected by this latest update please?

I have 8.1 & there was an update about a month ago which completely messed up my computer, the problems which I had immediately after the update were similar to the ones described above.

Resolved by running "System Restore" & it's been fine since - if there's another 8.1 update around which is causing issues then I'll see if I can avoid it.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro version 1803 completely messed everything up deleting programs and apps, having to re install the missing ones.

6 hours ago, Beauchiefs said:

I'm running Windows 10 Pro version 1803 completely messed everything up deleting programs and apps, having to re install the missing ones.

If you're still running 1803 then I would kinda expect any issues that come to you, 1803 is an OLD version of Windows 10 (it's on 1906 or something) now

And if you updated correctly, there is no way on the earth that just a windows update can delete apps/files etc....

Edited by Ghozer

There is a known issue with the newly installed Windows10 version and the new version of Google Chrome resulting in the "Aw Snap" message on Chrome for some users. The workarounds offered are at best temporary. 

1 hour ago, Annie Bynnol said:

There is a known issue with the newly installed Windows10 version and the new version of Google Chrome resulting in the "Aw Snap" message on Chrome for some users. The workarounds offered are at best temporary. 

actually  that issue is caused by symantec endpoint protection, and updating your virus/malware scanner should fix the issue..

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/google/how-to-fix-aw-snap-crash-in-google-chrome-78/

SEP does indeed appear to be a culprit, but like many others we do not have SEP on any of our computers.

The Androids, Apples and the older PCs are fine. 

It is the newest PCs that went "Aw Snap" yesterday afternoon .

Is it because they have a different version that allows for better graphics?

As  the PCs are not needed I think I'll wait for a proper fix.

As for me I couldn't possibly comment - but it is worth while creating a full system backup before major updates. redobackup works and its totally free:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/redobackup/files/

Don't rely on System Restore in Windows, or Time Shift in GNU/Linux.

Edited by swarfendor437

On 24/10/2019 at 17:41, Ghozer said:

If you're still running 1803 then I would kinda expect any issues that come to you, 1803 is an OLD version of Windows 10 (it's on 1906 or something) now

And if you updated correctly, there is no way on the earth that just a windows update can delete apps/files etc....

I have 2 computers, one is running Windows 1803 which has had all the necessary updates, this one has had Office Word taken out on the latest update this week and replaced it with Word Pad which will not read all my old Office Word Docs. it has also removed Picasa,  Ulead Photo Express app. and Play Memories Home. These are the only ones I've found missing so far, Windows has left Movie Maker on both machines but not working correctly any longer. I previously had 2 fast computers but since Windows 10 was introduced and with regular updates I now have 2 very poorly and slow computer's.

1 hour ago, Beauchiefs said:

I have 2 computers, one is running Windows 1803 which has had all the necessary updates, this one has had Office Word taken out on the latest update this week and replaced it with Word Pad which will not read all my old Office Word Docs. it has also removed Picasa,  Ulead Photo Express app. and Play Memories Home. These are the only ones I've found missing so far, Windows has left Movie Maker on both machines but not working correctly any longer. I previously had 2 fast computers but since Windows 10 was introduced and with regular updates I now have 2 very poorly and slow computer's.

What may have happened, is you did a full install/reset, instead of just an upgrade...  "WordPad" is a standard windows program, and has existed since around Windows XP, it hasn't taken something off and replaced it with that..... 

it could also be that
A) your word/office license expired

B) you did a complete install as I first said, and not an update - this would have removed programs.
C) you were using old(er) versions of the specified programs/apps that don't work with 1903 and were 'disabled' pending update or removal, you would have to visit the website for each app to check for an update..
D) They have simply been moved, and you can't find them

Windows Movie Maker was removed as standard from Windows 10 (I think 7 was the last to have it by default) and came as part of the "Windows Essentials" download, which is also no longer available, Windows 10 uses the 'photo's app' to edit and create movies now..... so as I said about other software, this is simply old, outdated (no longer compatible or supported) software!

It sounds like, you had Windows 7 or 8 (already upgraded from XP or 7) then upgraded to Windows 10, and haven't had a full clean sweep/install, so you're trying to keep (and keep using) old software, that won't work anymore...