Sign in to follow this  

Your Advice Please !

I normally cook Christmas dinner for around 7 to 8 relatives each year. However, the old man opposite became a widower this year after his wife died. He does not have any living relatives himself, so I wondered about inviting him over for Christmas dinner. Do you think this is too soon after his wife’s death, or will he just think I feel sorry for him ?  How shall I ask him ? How would you word it ? Your advice would be helpful !

I would ask him over for Sunday lunch if you were cooking for your family.  He might say no, that's fair enough.  If he accepts you can see how it goes and if your happy to include him in your Christmas dinner plan then do so.

You never know he might be wonderful company but then he might not be.  Jim Royle from the Royle family comes to mind.

If it was me I would 'casually' bump into him in the street, not literally, and strike up a conversation then ask him round for lunch.

2 minutes ago, jane2008 said:

I would ask him over for Sunday lunch if you were cooking for your family.  He might say no, that's fair enough.  If he accepts you can see how it goes and if your happy to include him in your Christmas dinner plan then do so.

You never know he might be wonderful company but then he might not be.  Jim Royle from the Royle family comes to mind.

If it was me I would 'casually' bump into him in the street, not literally, and strike up a conversation then ask him round for lunch.

Thank you for your advice Jane.xx

When you get a chance to speak to him, you could ask him what he is doing  for Christmas dinner this year. Depending on his reply you could offer to bring him a Christmas dinner round to his house. It is a sort of compromise.

20 hours ago, Janus said:

When you get a chance to speak to him, you could ask him what he is doing  for Christmas dinner this year. Depending on his reply you could offer to bring him a Christmas dinner round to his house. It is a sort of compromise.

That’s a good idea Janus.

I would just wait until you see him and ask what he has planned, I would then say that you wondered if he might like to come for dinner, that you always buy loads to much and throw it away and the more the merrier,  then if he declines offer to take some over as Janus says, make it seem that he will be the one helping out :)

So here we are on the day Pattricia 🎄 - what did you decide to do for your neighbour ?