What Are You Watching On Tv At This Moment ?

On 29/10/2020 at 11:07, wearysmith said:

I recall physically cringing when watching 'Abigail's Party' for the first time. Almost hiding behind a cushion. I was 19 when I first saw it on TV. It was clear that Alison Steadman was the best thing in it. I saw it again when it came out on VHS in the early 80s, rented from a video shop (remember those?) in Fulwood. My wife hadn't seen it before. We both watched from behind cushions that time.

That said, Steadman's finest hour, for me, was her role in 'The Singing Detective'. Heartbreaking performance. The beloved also reckons that 'Gavin & Stacey' wouldn't have been as huge if Steadman hadn't got that part. She's probably right.

image.png

I missed "The Singing Dectective" heard it was popular though. 

Must look out for it, they are showing a lot of repeats lately. 

On 29/10/2020 at 16:49, hauxwell said:

I also liked the Alison Steadman storyline best.  I haven’t seen Abigail’s Party but I will make a note of it.

If there is a bit of Beverly in all of us I hope you still  possess the carefree Beverly before she married her husband and not the controlled and dominated woman she was turned into.

Beverly is the character she plays in Abigail’s Party. 

If you decide to watch it  it was on BBC 4 Play for Today and is still on Iplayer. 

1 hour ago, janie48 said:

Beverly is the character she plays in Abigail’s Party. 

If you decide to watch it  it was on BBC 4 Play for Today and is still on Iplayer. 

Thank you.  I might see if I can find it on Iplayer over the weekend. 

Don't know whether it's already been mentioned but Alison Steadman was also in Nuts in May. Also directed by Mike Leigh and came out around the same time as Abigail's Party. It's very funny and had stood the test of time. Worth looking out for.

I’m pleased Janie48 mentioned Abigails Party, at first I thought it was a bit dated when I first started to watch it, but that is partly why I enjoyed it so much, and the good acting particularly by Alison Steadman an actress who I haven’t watched much until she was in the TV series Life.  No mobile phones in this play and you could buy a house in a decent area for £21,000.  

I will keep my eyes open for Nuts in May now Rollypolly has mentioned it.

Tales of the unexpected,  enjoyed watching them years ago, so glad their showing them again.

Truth Seekers, the new Nick Frost comedy horror show on Amazon Prime about a man who installs and repairs broadband by day but in his spare time runs a Youtube channel dedicated to investigating haunted places and supernatural. Enjoying it a lot.

Elvis. The Man That Rocked.

It’s a documentary on  C5 about Elvis Presley.  He had the looks the voice in his younger days and he blew it all.  Even in death he still earns millions of pounds.

He really was the real deal. 

On 01/11/2020 at 22:44, hauxwell said:

It’s a documentary on  C5 about Elvis Presley.  He had the looks the voice in his younger days and he blew it all.  Even in death he still earns millions of pounds.

I’m not a fan of his but I found this programme very interesting.

I'm enjoying a lot of new weekly shows out at the moment:

The Mandalorian S2 - excellent as ever

The Right Stuff - Up to date serialisation of the famous 80s movie

The Undoing - Nicole Kidman / Hugh Grant murder drama

On 01/11/2020 at 22:44, hauxwell said:

Wealth and Fame seem to cause so much tradegy, some will say self inflicted in most cases, Judy Garland springs to mind,  different for  Roy Orbison he had family tradgedy,  all very sad for such very gifted people.