The Myth That Poverty Is The Main Cause Obesity

It's not just kids.

My neighbours are just now driving to the library, it is, at most, 400m away.

We drive everywhere.

We're fat.

I wonder if there's a connection?

My oldest grandchildren can't get to school without being driven.  They're fairly rural, no pavements, no bus close enough.  The younger one is driven on days when both parents work, but walks or bikes on days when mum is off. They all do extra curricular stuff, sports, dance, park runs, walks with the dog etc.  None of them has an ounce of spare fat.  Unlike moi 🙄

I agree that there are a number of contributory factors. I recently retired and have more time to shop and cook more sensibly, but when I was working full time, with a 90 minute commute at each end of the day, leaving home at 7 in the morning and getting home after 7 in the evening, I ate a lot more rubbish, simply because it was quicker and easier. I live in a fairly economically poor area of London. If I step out of my front door, there's a chip shop, a kebab shop, a fried chicken shop an Indian takeaway and a Chinese takeaway all within about a 3 minute walk of where I live - yet the nearest supermarket where I can buy fresh veg, fruit, fish & meat is a good half hour's walk, or a bus ride, away. There's a posh butcher's, a posh fishmonger's, a posh greengrocer's and a very fancy delicatessen a bit nearer, but they are only open 9am-5pm and everything they sell costs at least 3 times as much as the supermarket (like £4 for a wholemeal loaf, for example).

I think that the majority of people do know how to shop and cook more healthily these days, but don't always have the time or easy access to places that sell fresh food at reasonable prices.

Life expectancy will start coming down in 30-40 years time as these kids become middle aged. They probably won't live beyond their 50's - if they're lucky.

This will relieve the over stretched NHS - if it still exists.

Every cloud...............😲

Edited by Daven

13 hours ago, Daven said:

Life expectancy will start coming down in 30-40 years time as these kids become middle aged. They probably won't live beyond their 50's - if they're lucky.

Survival of the fittest 

Guest makapaka
14 hours ago, Daven said:

Interesting logic here.

the silver Lining is we will relieve the burden on the resource designed to help us stop dying young by dying young. 

excellent.

Edited by makapaka