The Myth That Poverty Is The Main Cause Obesity

41 minutes ago, apelike said:

An extremely good slogan!

how does it help ?

Edited by ads36

I agree it's laziness mainly. Ignorance is no excuse these days.. And if kids are fat its generally the parents fault.

If you're a parent of an obese child reading this, be assured that your child will get bullied because they are obese and you are party to the situation. 

I know parents who drop their kids off at school, only 200 yards away and will drive similar distances to the local shops. 90% of the staff where I work, are quite happy to stand waiting for 5 minutes for the lift to take them one floor!!! Combined with a poor diet, it's easy to see why there are so many fat folk around these days. 

2 hours ago, geared said:

But which of those are directly linked with poverty?

Perhaps at a push accessibility to fast food and ready meals but even then I can't think of many places where fruit and veg aren't also available in the same area.

As @FIRETHORN1 said, it's more down to lazyness than anything.

I find it very hard to believe that in this day and age people don't know the basics of a healthy diet, it's just not possible.

Much more likely is that they have been taught, but chose to ignore or couldn't be bothered to listen.

The same goes for cooking a healthy meal, it's not rocket science and it's there is an absolute mountain of information available on how and what to do, if people aren't doing it then it's down to choice.

No-one gets fat by accident.

As a fatty I can say this and get away with it. We get fat because we eat too much of the "wrong" foods and do not exercise nearly enough, and it goes for both children and adults.  Just look at old photos of the 50s/60s,  not many fatty's to be seen.

Angel1.

4 hours ago, lil-minx92 said:

I agree it's laziness mainly. Ignorance is no excuse these days.. And if kids are fat its generally the parents fault.

If you're a parent of an obese child reading this, be assured that your child will get bullied because they are obese and you are party to the situation. 

Its not being lazy if they are frantically tapping on their mobile or on social media, its not like they are in bed, although they could be  lol

9 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

As a fatty I can say this and get away with it. We get fat because we eat too much of the "wrong" foods and do not exercise nearly enough, and it goes for both children and adults.  Just look at old photos of the 50s/60s,  not many fatty's to be seen.

Angel1.

You aren’t wrong. I was thin as a whippet as a lad. But I was out running around, kicking a ball about, what kids used to do back then I guess - and  I’m in my 40s. But back in the 80s/90s consoles were available, and we played them but did stuff outside as well. Are parents frightened of letting their kids out now? Because it isn’t just diet - in my late teens I ate terribly - I recall two mega Macs (remember them?) in the middle of an all dayer, followed by more pints and pizza at the end of the night. I was still thin because I still played sports back then and walked everywhere. Maybe it was the smoking. God, I miss the smoking.

Now, I have a rare biscuit with a cuppa and I’ve put half a stone on. But as a kid there weren’t many fat kids.  Drive past a school now and there are many.

Question : how did those kids gets to school?

In the fifties there was one fat child in my class. Her parents were big people, and her brother and sister were pretty large too.  Her dad was an opthalmic surgeon, the family was much better off than most of us.

How times have changed.

The facts of modern life are food is easy to get hold of and we don't need to move as much to achieve our goals.

Low self-esteem is a product of poverty and people relieve that stress in destructive ways.

10 hours ago, ads36 said:

Question : how did those kids gets to school?

I walked to school on my own from about 10 I guess. Most of us did. I was near my old stomping ground about 10 years back at school run time and the queue of traffic went on and on and on, on a nice day as well. Was only half as bad as that when it was raining when ah wer a lad.

18 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

You aren’t wrong. I was thin as a whippet as a lad. But I was out running around, kicking a ball about, what kids used to do back then I guess - and  I’m in my 40s. But back in the 80s/90s consoles were available, and we played them but did stuff outside as well. Are parents frightened of letting their kids out now? Because it isn’t just diet - in my late teens I ate terribly - I recall two mega Macs (remember them?) in the middle of an all dayer, followed by more pints and pizza at the end of the night. I was still thin because I still played sports back then and walked everywhere. Maybe it was the smoking. God, I miss the smoking.

Now, I have a rare biscuit with a cuppa and I’ve put half a stone on. But as a kid there weren’t many fat kids.  Drive past a school now and there are many.

On the money. As a 13 year old I worked on a local farm about three quarters of a mile from home.  ( I am going to drive and just see how far it is) Used to walk/run there every night of the week after school and did the same Sat Sun morning, and getting home the same way late at night. If we had been sorting tatties, last job at night I would carry a half hundredweight bag of spuds home. Can you imagine a 13 year old of to-day doing the same, because I honestly can't. Would that I could pick the bag up these days, let alone carry it three quarters  of a mile. They were happy days, fit as a fiddle and scared of nowt.

Angel1.

You'll never see a thin rat in a granary.