Planning + cost for a driveway in a council house.

Hi,

Does anyone know what steps are needed to have a drive way build in a council house ? Do you need planning permission ? Also does anyone know how much it would cost to lower the curb, and is it a job only the council can do ? (its on a rather busy road) I have heard when they modernise the houses here you can request a drive insted of a wall, but that seems like many moons away. thanks.

Should be around £500 to drop the kerb. You'll need to ring the council to make sure you can do it and then inform them who is doing it. Make sure you get a council approved builder with the right insurance etc.

apply to your housing office for permission first for the hardstanding,this is a must - wait for this and keep the permission letter for future reference then

apply to highways for the drop kerb which cost 30 quid they will send you out a list of approved contractors they have to have millions of pounds liability insurance as previously said that about 500 quid

estimate we had was

500 dropped kerb

30 permission from highways

between 1200-2300 for actually hardstanding depends on what u want doing i.e tarmac concrete block paving, does it need leveling coz ours is on a slope.

total cost approx 2000 - 2800

hope this helps

hi you have to apply for planning permission from the council for your drive and kerbs you also have to go with someone that is registered to to the job... no-one on the side as they do check up... it costs arround £250.00 for your kerbs to be done but you can do the drive yourself.. hope this helps...

hate to disappoint you but we had our kerb dropped by the council just over 12 months ago and the cost was just short of a £1000 because the list that they give you for contractors is so out of date half of them are no longer in business but you have to have someone who has xmillion pound liability insurance in case there are problems with water electic etc. plus we had to have them back as they made a real **** up first time round:

:(

Thanks all not going to be a nice process then :(

Beware if you are on an 'A' road the car has got to be able to turn around in the drive. In the planning process 'You are not allowed to reverse off an A road or reverse out on to the road. You can quicking check via A to Z if the the road is categorized it may be more difficult to get permission.:huh:

check if anyone else on your road has a drive if so u should have no problem if they do refuse u ask why!

good luck

If you live in a council house IMO i would wait till they come and re do all the new work on your home. all house now can have drive built for free when they do your home, You have a choice of ither keeping your front garden or haveing this option. And they do it nice too as mate had her done up shirecliffe. It not goin to be long now till all of parson cross gets done by 2010 and i have a list on what year when your area is going to get done if not already. So in IMO i wait on like i am doing. saves you the mess and hassle and cost of doing it yourself and also goin to howden house to get the form to get the persmission in the first place to get drop kerbs.