Councils Must Pay Millions For Win10 Upgrade

On 19/10/2019 at 21:09, The Joker said:

If it's costing you the £££ millions to upgrade to the Windows 10, then you're doing it the wrong way.

I upgraded for the cost of the Zero

Windows Licencing for organisations and businesses are different to Consumer Licences. But you knew that right? ;)

On 22/10/2019 at 10:12, alchresearch said:

Because 10 runs faster than 7 on older machines.  It certainly does on the netbooks and old Acer minis I have here.  Add an SSD and that makes even greater difference.

This is simply not true.    Windows 10 is tediously slow unless you have top notch hardware.   Trust me (well, you have no reason to of course!) but I have seen the effects of Windows 10 comparable to other operating systems on the same hardware and I can honestly tell you that Windows 10 is a hog.   However if you are a Windows users you can't get away from it, at all.

The issue is mainly disk speed - without an SSD as your boot device, you will hit bottlenecks and suffer from poor speeds on any Windows 10 machine when you try to do anything close to multitasking.    Even if the rest of your hardware is top notch, without a fast SSD you are going to suffer from a slow system.

On 09/11/2019 at 21:45, YourTech said:

This is simply not true.    Windows 10 is tediously slow unless you have top notch hardware.

Utter hogwash. Windows 10 is noticeably faster on my fileserver and is 5+ yeas old and was originally Win 7 Pro.

Just stop trolling.

2 hours ago, probedb said:

Utter hogwash. Windows 10 is noticeably faster on my fileserver and is 5+ yeas old and was originally Win 7 Pro.

Just stop trolling.

Agreed, stuck 10 on an old (7+ year old) Laptop, (Dual Core Celeron, 2GB DDR2 Ram, 120GB HDD) and it runs much faster and smoother than Windows 7 EVER did on the same machine!

4 hours ago, probedb said:

Just stop trolling.

it's not trolling though

unless you are going to call the thousands who have posted their experiences on the internet liars then there are certainly situations where windows 10 is noticably slower than windows 7 

as with all operating systems, performance depends on hardware, configuration and applications.

On 26/10/2019 at 18:15, swarfendor437 said:

Windows Licencing for organisations and businesses are different to Consumer Licences. But you knew that right? ;)

A company can still upgrade their OEM and retail Windows 7 Pro and Windows 8 Pro licences to Windows 10 Pro, for free.

If I'm wrong, please let me know, because I've been doing that for years 😁

On 17/11/2019 at 22:05, andyofborg said:

it's not trolling though

It is, the poster didn't make any reference to specific setups. Had they said it's slower in certain situations that's fair enough, they didn't they dismissed it in it's entirety.