Councils Must Pay Millions For Win10 Upgrade

A lot of people have been extolling Windows 10 as to how good it is - well if Councils facing large bills from M$ which it can't get out of because it is tied in to what it thinks it can't get out of, this will surely lead to cuts in services and jobs. Computer Active in April/May edition this year ran an article on this. Under a freedom of information request made in 2018, 83% of councils had not made any decision to migrate. Bath and North East Somerset council is facing a bill of £1.47 m; West Sussex County Council, for example has to replace 5,700 computers, many of which have been in use since 2012. Councils sticking with Windows 7 will have to pay Microsoft $50 per machine per year, doubling every year for the next three years. The company (M$) has also more than doubled the price it charges organisations and businesses to run a copy of Windows 10, from £214,000 to £450,000. It's time to follow the Public Services of Vicenza in Italy that has rolled out Zorin on all it's 890 desktops.

If it's costing you the £££ millions to upgrade to the Windows 10, then you're doing it the wrong way.

I upgraded for the cost of the Zero

Here we go again...

😂🤣

So did I!

Where I live, West Somerset Libraries are still using Windows 7, so slow its painful.

5 minutes ago, sedith said:

So did I!

Where I live, West Somerset Libraries are still using Windows 7, so slow its painful.

Why do you think the Windows 10 will make the slow PC, the faster running?

The upgrade to Windows 10 was free. MS announced the end of support date for Windows 7 more than 2 years ago. If councils have been unable to make a decision about upgrading for 2+ years whose fault is that?

Microsoft should not charge anything for Windows 7 computers if they are withdrawing support and Windows 10 is so rubbish that there should be no charge anyway.

There is nothing rubbish about windows 10. When I upgraded my 72 year old mums machine from 7 to 10 she was able to continuing using it with no problems at all.  How many other companies will continue supporting a product for free for nearly 11 years after launch?

Windows 7 was released in 2009. It's the council's fault for not upgrading at a earlier time and instead letting themselves knowingly enter extended support agreements with Microsoft which cost progressively more money.

FYI the closes LTS version of Ubuntu released in 2009 is 8.04 which ended support in 2013 and OSX isn't even worth mentioning as Apple only support the last two versions and release a new version virtually annually.

So yes, switch to Ubuntu and all the training costs and lack of software support issues and still have to upgrade all your desktops two or three times in the period the council have had stability for ten years.

Edited by the_bloke

On 19/10/2019 at 22:04, The Joker said:

Why do you think the Windows 10 will make the slow PC, the faster running?

Because 10 runs faster than 7 on older machines.  It certainly does on the netbooks and old Acer minis I have here.  Add an SSD and that makes even greater difference.

On 19/10/2019 at 19:41, swarfendor437 said:

A lot of people have been extolling Windows 10 as to how good it is - well if Councils facing large bills from M$ which it can't get out of because it is tied in to what it thinks it can't get out of, this will surely lead to cuts in services and jobs. Computer Active in April/May edition this year ran an article on this. Under a freedom of information request made in 2018, 83% of councils had not made any decision to migrate. Bath and North East Somerset council is facing a bill of £1.47 m; West Sussex County Council, for example has to replace 5,700 computers, many of which have been in use since 2012. Councils sticking with Windows 7 will have to pay Microsoft $50 per machine per year, doubling every year for the next three years. The company (M$) has also more than doubled the price it charges organisations and businesses to run a copy of Windows 10, from £214,000 to £450,000. It's time to follow the Public Services of Vicenza in Italy that has rolled out Zorin on all it's 890 desktops.

Shock, horror, software company expects its customers to pay for software!!!!