Brook Hill Roundabout (University Sq) Weekend Works.

There are ongoing works on the new build on Bolsolver Street/Winter Street hence night closures at weekend.

6pm closure.

Why narrow all the approaches to Brook Hill roundabout, from lunchtime? (or even at all, from some approaches regardless of the time?)

Just utter chaos today again same as the last sat or one before!

Does anyone know traffic regulations who can answer this?

Edited by *_ash_*

The Brook Hill roundabout was gridlocked as early as 10am this morning

The thanks for the blocking of the junction, you idiots 😘

I put this down to the typical stupid driving of the typically stupid Sheffield driver

No conspiracy of the council here, I think 🤔

Brook Hill roundabout is always gridlocked when the students are back . Who’s brilliant idea was it to widen the crossing going away from the city towards St Philips ? Trying to judge when it’s best to move forward without blocking such a wide area is causing mayhem.

28 minutes ago, autumn said:

Brook Hill roundabout is always gridlocked when the students are back . Who’s brilliant idea was it to widen the crossing going away from the city towards St Philips ? Trying to judge when it’s best to move forward without blocking such a wide area is causing mayhem.

Honestly, given the lack of self-preservation of many modern students, I find it safer not to approach either of the pedestrian crossings until I am 100% sure I can clear them.

1 hour ago, autumn said:

Yeah, it's those students and crossing widths causing traffic mayhem, not the thousands of cars.

18 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

Why narrow all the approaches to Brook Hill roundabout, 

It's standard traffic management practice nowadays. if an exit at the roundabout is closed, they close off the lanes  on the entries that drivers heading for the closed exit would use. Saves them finding out that the exit is closed when they arrive at it and having to merge back into circulating traffic.

5 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Yeah, it's those students and crossing widths causing traffic mayhem, not the thousands of cars.

Well I’ve been using this route for over 20 yrs daily and things have definitely got worse since the new crossings were put in place .

5 hours ago, Planner1 said:

It's standard traffic management practice nowadays. if an exit at the roundabout is closed, they close off the lanes  on the entries that drivers heading for the closed exit would use. Saves them finding out that the exit is closed when they arrive at it and having to merge back into circulating traffic.

Coming down Western Bank, there it combines 2 into 1, then open out to 2 at the junction. Why not just block the left hand lane where it splits into 3?

From Netherthorpe Rd they close it to 1, then open to 2 at the junction, with the left one closed... I just can't see the logic. What has the 1st exit got to do with the 5th being blocked?

Edited by *_ash_*

4 hours ago, autumn said:

Well I’ve been using this route for over 20 yrs daily and things have definitely got worse since the new crossings were put in place .

Not worse for pedestrians. 

11 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Not worse for pedestrians. 

But it’s worse for polluting our city ,having cars stopping and starting every few yards . Don’t get me wrong I don’t think cars should have it all . I believe cyclists and pedestrians have as much right on the roads  as cars but the way they have done this isn’t good for anyone . 

2 hours ago, autumn said:

But it’s worse for polluting our city ,having cars stopping and starting every few yards . Don’t get me wrong I don’t think cars should have it all . I believe cyclists and pedestrians have as much right on the roads  as cars but the way they have done this isn’t good for anyone . 

Goodness know show much pollution those in offices around there are having to breathe in from the constant gridlock.

we can't fix congestion by taking out a few pedestrian crossings.

I can't fix being fat by loosening my belt.