Mp Gill Furniss

1 minute ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

How could the remain voters on here agree that an MP should indeed represent their constituents wishes, if they did Brexit would have been done and dusted YEARS ago.

Angel1.

The really?

You've had the three years to done and dust the Brexit, and what do you have to show for it?

I'll the wait

1 minute ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

I think I have sourced the reason the Remainers are so fanatical in their reasoning that our MP's should be allowed, nay encouraged to vote for Remain, even though their constituencies voted to leave.

A little googling brings up the constituencies who voted leave and those who voted remain.  

Leave 406 constituencies

Remain 244 constituencies.

How could the remain voters on here agree that an MP should indeed represent their constituents wishes, if they did Brexit would have been done and dusted YEARS ago.

Angel1.

No, I wouldn't agree because it's complicated. It's not something to rush over. Maybe if Nigel et al had put together a detailed plan instead of just bellyaching for the better part of 20 years, that might have helped. But you're nearly there.

If you want to solely discuss Brexit please do so on the dedicated thread.

Thank you.

1 minute ago, nikki-red said:

If you want to solely discuss Brexit please do so on the dedicated thread.

Thank you.

Fair comment your ladyship. But as there isn't an election and the OP was really only talking about their Mps lack of commitment to brexit is it worth keeping it open?

1 minute ago, tinfoilhat said:

Fair comment your ladyship. But as there isn't an election and the OP was really only talking about their Mps lack of commitment to brexit is it worth keeping it open?

Course it is chuck, we just dont need another thread thats only about Brexit. as long as posts are relevant to the opening post thats fine :) 

1 hour ago, The Joker said:

The basic maths was never the typical leave voter's strongest quality, was it?

The Brightside constituency will re-elect the Ms Furniss MP at the next election

Its Hillsborough and Brightside, but you're right its a very safe seat.  Its all one constituency since the boundary changes split up S6.  I think Ms Furniss is a decent MP.  However,  I admire Caroline Flint.   She supports Brexit because her constituency voted 68% Leave, and she is honouring that vote.  

1 minute ago, Ms Macbeth said:

Its Hillsborough and Brightside, but you're right its a very safe seat.  Its all one constituency since the boundary changes split up S6.  I think Ms Furniss is a decent MP.  However,  I admire Caroline Flint.   She supports Brexit because her constituency voted 68% Leave, and she is honouring that vote.  

As much as I respect your opinion, I don't admire the Ms Flint MP.

I always had the thought she was the self-serving MP type, and her reasons for supporting the Brexit have only cemented the view 🤔

12 hours ago, Ms Macbeth said:

Actually she didn't support Brexit and I suspect her reason for voting the way she has is more to do with careerist reasons than principles. You can apply that to Stephanie Peacock, Barnsley East,  Dan Jarvis Barnsley Central,  Kevin Baron, Don Valley and several others.

i actually campaigned for Gill  Furnis when she was first elected and found to be a decent person. She'll be re-elected.

Edited by Ridgewalk

You assume the Momentum machine will let her be put forward as the candidate come the next election.

8 hours ago, the_bloke said:

You assume the Momentum machine will let her be put forward as the candidate come the next election.

Considering their last faux pas in Sheffield they'd be wise to leave well alone!

I don't think it's necessarily fair to expect an MP to support a cause that they personally disagree with, simply because the majority of his/her constituents supported that cause in referendum. As an individual, Gill Furniss has a democratic right to support Remain, and that's probably what she voted for when she cast her individual vote in the referendum 3 years ago. She seems to have been honest about her wish to remain in the EU and even though I voted for Brexit myself, I respect her right to follow her own conscience and to hold a different view to mine. There's more to an MP's job than just how they feel on one issue - even an issue as important as whether or not we remain in the EU. 

If Ms Furniss's constituents don't like her overall performance as their local MP,  if they think that she's falling short in many key areas, they can always choose not to vote for her the next time she stands for election, but for anyone to say that they will "never" vote for Labour again" simply because they happen to disagree with their local MP's stance on just one particular issue,  seems naïve, short-sighted and just plain daft to me. 

Six Labour MPs voted with the Government on Saturday against Letwin.

Up to fifteen Labour MPs will vote with the Government on the Johnson deal.

This will provide a majority for the Johnson deal.

Politics is indeed a dirty business but necessary activity.

Edited by Annie Bynnol