Sign in to follow this  

Pc Running Slow And Glitchy

Hello. My PC is running a bit rubbish at the minute.

Windows 10

Ryzen 5

16gb DDR4

GTX 970

C drive is an nvme

When I first got it it was blistering fast (compared to my previous pc) but over the last couple of months its been sluggish.

Also when booting up on a few occasions its booted to windows and the task bar has been missing the clock or an icon or even the whole task bar.

Ive done virus/malware scans all come up clean.

Ive cleaned the pc using Ccleaner

Done more scans

Not much seems to have changed and its still running poor.

Any ideas what I should try next?

Thank you :-)

Personally, I would backup anything you would like to keep, and do a rull reinstall...

I generally do that every 12 months or so any ways, good practice (what with patches and updates installing on/over other patches and updates, does good now and then to start fresh)

Also, C drive may be an NVME, but if (like me) you have documents/other stuff stored on a mechanical/large storage drive, then check the condition of the mechanical drive, as it may be failing!

Thank you Ghozer. Things seem to be a bit better now. I uninstalled a few programs I dont really use and I was pleasantly surprised by an increase in speed all around but Im backing up my files this weekend and I think ill follow your advice and do a full install anyway.

🙂

1 hour ago, Waj said:

Thank you Ghozer. Things seem to be a bit better now. I uninstalled a few programs I dont really use and I was pleasantly surprised by an increase in speed all around but Im backing up my files this weekend and I think ill follow your advice and do a full install anyway.

🙂

Also, when using an SSD for your C drive, it's good practice to try and keep around 10% of it's total size, available as free space - this helps with the drives TRIM feature and speed etc (you can google to get more details as to how/why if you want :) )

5 hours ago, Waj said:

🙂

Update the BIOS before you clean install Waj. There's been a lot of updates to the Ryzen platform.

2 hours ago, zach said:

Update the BIOS before you clean install Waj. There's been a lot of updates to the Ryzen platform.

Nice one, Thanks

Ill be sure to do that 👍

Just another quick tip.

As soon as you have reinstalled everything to how you like it including the drivers, updates and programs you want, do a image of it. That way if you have problems in the future instead of re-installing all of it again you can save some time and just re-install the image you have made. 

You could also try this to automatically clean the temp files on boot up, but don't do it if you use it to store files in.

Open notepad and copy this:

rd %temp% /s /q

md %temp%

Now, save the file exactly as the path below:

%appdata%\microsoft\windows\start menu\programs\startup\cleantemp.bat

Edited by apelike

22 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

You can now doe a re-install from the Cloud -instructions here

It's been like that for a while - I have a 'windows 10 install USB' i update with fresh install files every couple of months, so I always have pretty much the latest version available to install fresh whenever I need it :)

I pretty much do the same.

Install OS

Install all updates

Install all main programs I use

Image the HDD

Keep the new image until I break things...again!!  It takes about 5 minutes to create the image and about 10 to restore using Macrium.

Have a look at Linux, I've been using it for 5 years now and never had a single problem, and everything's free.

On 21/10/2019 at 19:09, Ghozer said:

It's been like that for a while - I have a 'windows 10 install USB' i update with fresh install files every couple of months, so I always have pretty much the latest version available to install fresh whenever I need it :)

Of course using a USB stick has been around for a while. 

The whole point is that the new Cloud download for Windows does not require a USB or other storage to faff about with. (Except as the normal regular backup.)

Source