Aesthete Bistro In Walkley

The people behind the Alyssum Cafe on Barber Road have opened a new bistro opposite ASDA on South Road.

It's only been open a few weeks and looks very popular.

Lovely looking menu as well.

Hopefully they will make a great success of it.

50 minutes ago, taxman said:

The people behind the Alyssum Cafe on Barber Road have opened a new bistro opposite ASDA on South Road.

It's only been open a few weeks and looks very popular.

Lovely looking menu as well.

Hopefully they will make a great success of it.

Hope so, Alyssum Cafe is a nice place.

Only live 5 mins away looks popular as ye say but theres a few on south road already . Should have been a decent chippy to compete with Cod on the block at commonside which is very good and the amount of hairdressers is just mindblowing..

Guest makapaka
On 17/10/2019 at 18:23, Mooks said:

Only live 5 mins away looks popular as ye say but theres a few on south road already . Should have been a decent chippy to compete with Cod on the block at commonside which is very good and the amount of hairdressers is just mindblowing..

The last thing south road needed was a chippy instead of a what appears to be a really nice new restaurant/cafe.

there’s also nothing else on south road like the new place so it adds more variety. Really pleased and going to give it a try soon.

id have been gutted if a chippy had opened there. Don’t want it to go like some areas with just umpteen takeaways surrounded by litter. 

south road is gradually improving year on year - is really like to see the Rose house refurbished as that has potential to Improve things further.

Why "bistro"?

A bistro here in France wouldn't serve cake, and would certainly serve wine!

On 19/10/2019 at 11:40, Longcol said:

Why "bistro"?

A bistro here in France wouldn't serve cake, and would certainly serve wine!

What a disgusting reply.  What is your point? Are you somewhat resentful because someone has worked very hard to do something satisfying for themselves and others and to play a part in progressing an area of our wonderful city. And especially by someone not native to our city and country.

I wish Alexa and her mum all the best and am very proud of them both

1 hour ago, Unisol said:

What a disgusting reply.  What is your point? Are you somewhat resentful because someone has worked very hard to do something satisfying for themselves and others and to play a part in progressing an area of our wonderful city. And especially by someone not native to our city and country.

I used Alyssum a number of times when I lived near Barber Road up until last year - they did very good cake and coffee.

No way would I call it a "bistro" - ie a small restaurant eg like Roy's Bistro in Ranmoor in the 80's which did a short, french menu and had a brief but enjoyable wine list.

This is not a disgusting reply, he's got a point.

I drove past there two weeks ago and when I saw Bistro I thought great, another wining and dining place  to explore one evening until I realised it was some sort of tea and cake cafe.

Looking at their website it is accurately described as "Coffee & Kitchen" - no mention of bistro per the OP.

54 minutes ago, jaffa1 said:

This is not a disgusting reply, he's got a point.

I drove past there two weeks ago and when I saw Bistro I thought great, another wining and dining place  to explore one evening until I realised it was some sort of tea and cake cafe.

How did you realise that? Not by going in, or perusing their website presumably. 

If you had, you will have seen the extended Friday and Saturday evening hours, and various savoury meal options. 

Maybe drive past a bit slower next time.

Guest makapaka
12 hours ago, Unisol said:

It’s not a disgusting reply is it?

he’s just giving his opinion on the way it’s described and isn’t criticising it in any way. 

Think you need to calm down a bit.

Guest makapaka
9 hours ago, Longcol said:

Looking at their website it is accurately described as "Coffee & Kitchen" - no mention of bistro per the OP.

Yes - it only says from the people behind the alyssium bistro.