Advice Please On Internet Speed

I am over 80!! with no computer knowledge only the basics, I have been with the same provider for the past 9 years. I have recently bought a new tv  and when my son set this up he said what internet speed do I have (this didn't mean a thing to me) I am paying £27 a month for internet only. He did a speed test and and the reading was 1.3 download and 0.8 upload (still doesn't mean anything to me) We rang ------ and they said that I was paying far to much because I was out of contract, and said I could upgrade and this would be cheaper and faster. Every year when my charge went up I rang and asked why and all I got was two months at half price and no mention of any out of date contract.  When I took out the contract they said I would have 11mbps. Any suggestions because I am going to have to upgrade as a smart tv isn't smart when you cant watch what you want. Sorry for ranting on, dont know how to speak to provider when they are blinding me  with science on things I havn't a clue about. My son is not in Sheffield so he cant deal with this for me.

Your post sounds so much like my Mums situation. She's also in her 80's and stuck with Talktalk for years, and told it was the fastest that was available. I eventually convinced her to shop around. Her internet speeds were pathetic and ok for a bit of slow web browsing but not much more! She now has a 80 down 20 up from BT. I'm not trying to plug BT as there are plenty of others that will do you a good deal. If you're streaming video (iPlayer/Netfix etc) I'd look at the 30's down as a start point. That would give you the option of a couple of streams at the same time.

For the £27 a month you mention, you should have no problem getting much higher speeds as long as your line is capable. If you don't mind giving your post code, that will help find out your maximum speeds.

Companies take loyal customers for mugs.

Shop around and get a better deal, you're being taken advantage of.

Have you got sky and if you have switch to them. Always some one to phone with your problems take no notice what they say on here. . I have been with them 20 years cant fault them.  27 pounds a month is rubb ish  you can get sky fibre  36 gb fraction of cost .  Phone them ask for a deal 

6 minutes ago, spider1 said:

Have you got sky and if you have switch to them. Always some one to phone with your problems take no notice what they say on here. . I have been with them 20 years cant fault them.  27 pounds a month is rubb ish  you can get sky fibre  36 gb fraction of cost .  Phone them ask for a deal 

dont have sky, but TalkTalk have said I can upgrade to 35bps for £25 on18month contract with free new router, but will they send engineer to set router up?? I wouldnt have a clue even if instructions come with it, cant deal with anything technical.

1 hour ago, kay1 said:

dont have sky, but TalkTalk have said I can upgrade to 35bps for £25 on18month contract with free new router, but will they send engineer to set router up?? I wouldnt have a clue even if instructions come with it, cant deal with anything technical.

I wouldn't stick with that, use google, look around - there are cheaper/better options around!

and usually you just unplug your old router, plug in the new one, and wait 30 mins or so - no configuring to do.... 

But I would honestly scrap off TalkTalk, and look else-where :)

Word of warning if you do decide to change... in no circumstances change to Vodafone, they may be cheap but more are bargain basement with appalling customer service and resolution of problems.

Plusnet have a fairly good deal at the moment 36Mb speed for £23.50 PM and £65 cashback as well.

Another thing to consider also is whether you use a landline phone or a mobile as you can also get a choice of phone packages as well.

Edited by apelike

You could sign a letter allowing your son to negotiate on your behalf - he would just need to scan it in and forward it on to them. 

1 hour ago, gene said:

You could sign a letter allowing your son to negotiate on your behalf - he would just need to scan it in and forward it on to them. 

You dont even need to do that, just be there ready to verify DPA, and then explain and pass to the other person...

I'd lend my voice to those who say change providers.   Usually the best offers are to be had by changing or threatening to change as soon as you are out of contract.

£27 a month sounds like a fiber price anyway, that speed you have, may very well be an internal wiring problem. Maybe an external one.
I'm going to P.M. you, if you're local to me i'll pop out for free and check your wiring, start with the basics.

Cheers.