The 2019 Sheffield Steel City Beer And Cider Festival - Oct 16 To Oct 19

Back again at the marvellous Kelham Island venue.

I'll be along at doors open tonight then again for a sweep up session tomorrow afternoon.

The pricing has changed this year - it's still "free" to get in tonight - you just have to pay £7 for a fiver's worth of voucher and a refundable glass. Tomorrow will cost an extra £2.

All the details here including beer lists and prices.

Going tonight, for the first time ever on the customer side of the bar (I've finally retired from working beer fests). 

Predictable chaos getting in at 5pm with one of the two tills breaking down and nobody seemingly to know how contactless card payments work.

Once in it was great though, found a nice little spot in the Millowners Bar and stayed for several hours.

Went Thursday evening and tried quite few different beers (managed to only have one disappointing beer (my fault really as I went on whim but it just didn't hit the spot I thought it would taste wise). Did my usual and forgot my prepared list but just about managed to find everything to try and one of those I missed had already sold out anyway as well as a couple I hadn't spotted. Liked the idea of getting beer tokens in the price as there was a bit of a queue at the token point where we first went so was able to go and get a nice half to try whilst waiting which made the queue less of a chore. 

Does anyone know the winners of the champion beer? Had a quick look on the Camra site but nothing has been posted and didn't see any mention at the event

On 21/10/2019 at 15:24, stillf said:

Went Thursday evening and tried quite few different beers (managed to only have one disappointing beer (my fault really as I went on whim but it just didn't hit the spot I thought it would taste wise). Did my usual and forgot my prepared list but just about managed to find everything to try and one of those I missed had already sold out anyway as well as a couple I hadn't spotted. Liked the idea of getting beer tokens in the price as there was a bit of a queue at the token point where we first went so was able to go and get a nice half to try whilst waiting which made the queue less of a chore. 

Does anyone know the winners of the champion beer? Had a quick look on the Camra site but nothing has been posted and didn't see any mention at the event

Triple Point Debut...the ones who took over from Sentinal. I had it, it was OK, not great

Second was another Sheffield brewery and third was Bradfield Vanilla Stout.

I made the point that none of those beers were anywhere near best in show, but apparently only a limited number of breweries chose to put their beers forward for judging. More fool those that couldn't be bothered.