'Proper' Kippers

Is there anywhere left in Sheffield that sells proper, old fashioned kippers? The boil-in-the-bag versions are available in most supermarkets, but they bear no resemblance to the real thing and are not worth eating. The best kippers I've ever had have been from Whitby - and where I live, in South East London, I'm lucky enough to live near one of the few remaining old-fashioned fishmongers, who occasionally sell the real thing - usually kippers from  Craster,  in Northumberland, or from Cley-Next-The-Sea, in Norfolk. They're bloody expensive though..... like £7 or £8 quid each …. which I think is quite ridiculous! 

My husband likes kippers, he sometimes gets them from our local fishmonger next to the Prince of Wales on Ecclesall Road South.  I don't eat them but they must be authentic if he buys them, he wouldn't accept anything else. Waitrose in Sheffield often has Craster kippers.

Thanks lectrolove.  Ecclesall Rd South is a bit of  a trek from where my old mum lives in Wadsley, but it may be worth me making a special effort to go there for proper kippers, the next time I come up to visit her in November. I actually found some kippers on the fish counter at the Hillsborough Morrison's when I came to stay with my mum last month...but they were rubbish! They were really dry and bony, with hardly any "meat" on them - and they just tasted like fake smoke flavour and over-powering salt. Like you, I'm no fan of kippers, I can take 'em or leave 'em,  but my mum really enjoys a proper old-fashioned kipper - and it would be nice to treat her to one.    

BOLDOCKS fishmonger on Chesterfield road sell Manx killers the very best you can buy/taste!  DEVERAUX kippers are fabulous.

Superfish in Hull have them either fillet or on the bone £12 per kilo and they do deliver. Have a look on their website they have an amazing variety of fish. their wet fish is straight off the boats

I remember going to Whitby a few years ago and getting a couple from Fortunes. They were dirt cheap and I took them back to the self catering place we were staying and put them in an empty flower vase, poured boiling water on them, left them for about 5 minutes then ate them.

Apologies to the people who stayed there for the next 6 months.

For many years I used to go sea fishing based at Garlieston in SW Scotland. The trawlers in the small harbour there would, if asked, bring in a (large) cardboard box of Manx kippers (I.O.M. is visible from the harbour), cost was £9 back around 1995. As mentioned above, once tasted never forgotten.