Racism In Football

Guest makapaka
10 hours ago, Michael_W said:

You have just validated part of my argument with that post, by mentioning an incident 15 years ago being comparable with the incident in Bulgaria, I will take your word for the Marcus Gayle incident, but in my 50 years attending football matches up and down the country on a regular basis I personally have seen nothing comparable to what happened on such a scale as it did in Bulgaria, and I have witnessed a lot of unsocial and stupid behaviour by so called football fans.

The systems are in place now within our stadia to report any such incidents, and that is probably why there is an article you have linked on the BBC website claiming a rise in hate , the rise just as in society in general is purely down to people being willing to report them, I am not playing the incidents down, but I would like someone to come forward with serious solutions to solve what is a problem in society instead of just continually laying the blame and responsibility at footballs door !

With regards to abuse written on social media, then surely the responsibility for that lies heavily with social media and not the football clubs, the clubs can ban those found guilty of abuse but can't physically stop those people posting it any more than they can stop them shouting or singing, if it were to be made law that clubs be fined or penalised for behaviour of their fans then surely it would be comparable to fine and penalise social media companies for allowing abusive posting ?

Yeah don’t disagree with most of that.

my personal experience isn’t validation mind.

On 15/10/2019 at 10:47, steved32 said:

The racist chanting and Nazi salutes by Bulgarian fans were appalling and sinister.

Some of the self-righteous moralising in the media though seems to suggest that the British game is free of the scourge of racism.  It'not that long ago that Chelsea "fans" were filmed abusing and pushing a black commuter attempting to board a train in Paris.  And, racist chants are still evident at some grounds.

This.  Times the million!

I didn't watch the match, but did the England "fans" boo, jeer and whistle the national anthem of the Bulgarian hosts, or did they not ?

Booing and jeering at national anthems may be disrespectful but is not racism, reports I have heard from one or two supporters who went, claim that some of the Bulgarians were not very hospitable towards the English before or after the game. I know the England fans have not made many friends over the years, but they have become a bit of a free hit wherever they go, there are often cases of English fans being badly assaulted, stabbed and beaten on these trips across Europe, with little if any sympathy even when it has been witnessed to be unjust. There is even some concern over the cause of death of a supporter over in Sofia earlier this week :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50105025

Post(s) have been removed because they could be considered to breach our Terms of Service or Forum Rules

On a day when Scottish Police charge a 12 year with allegedly making racial chants in an Old Firm game, the BBC are also running a story of Tottenham's Dele Alli making a 'joke' about the Coronavirus, then mocking an Asian & then posting it social media. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51441898

Fair enough that Alli apparently later removed the offensive post some time later, (but you can bet it's still out there somewhere), & issued an apology but there's not a mention of any condemnation for his posting from either Spurs of the likes of 'Kick It Out'. 

Edited by Baron99

22 hours ago, Baron99 said:

On a day when Scottish Police charge a 12 year with allegedly making racial chants in an Old Firm game, the BBC are also running a story of Tottenham's Dele Alli making a 'joke' about the Coronavirus, then mocking an Asian & then posting it social media. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51441898

Fair enough that Alli apparently later removed the offensive post some time later, (but you can bet it's still out there somewhere), & issued an apology but there's not a mention of any condemnation for his posting from either Spurs of the likes of 'Kick It Out'. 

As I understand he has been contacted by the FA to explain his actions.

Pretty certain a fine will be imposed and perhaps his club may do likewise or give him a warning.

I don't see it as racist personally , just a silly thing to do given the seriousness of this virus. He's apologised and realized it was foolish.

16 hours ago, Mr Fisk said:

As I understand he has been contacted by the FA to explain his actions.

Pretty certain a fine will be imposed and perhaps his club may do likewise or give him a warning.

I don't see it as racist personally , just a silly thing to do given the seriousness of this virus. He's apologised and realized it was foolish.

No. He apologised because it was getting him in to hot water. Do you reckon if no one took issue, he got millions of likes on his socials he would have gone ''Sorry, yeah that was a bit foolish, I think I'll take it down'' 

Doubt it. 

2 hours ago, Tomm06 said:

No. He apologised because it was getting him in to hot water. Do you reckon if no one took issue, he got millions of likes on his socials he would have gone ''Sorry, yeah that was a bit foolish, I think I'll take it down'' 

Doubt it. 

Obvious ppl noticed as it was social media..

Is it racism- no.

Is it foolish- yes.

Lesson learned and everyone can move on and be better people for it, everyone makes mistakes.

Hopefully he will be winning football trophies for Tottenham for many more years.

On 14/02/2020 at 12:59, Squimage said:

Lesson learned and everyone can move on and be better people for it, everyone makes mistakes.

Hopefully he will be winning football trophies for Tottenham for many more years.

Not necessarily over yet? 

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/dele-alli-coronavirus-video-tottenham-jose-mourinho-ban-epl-a9337301.html

Mourinho appears to want to play it all down? 

Love the quote, "The player is a good guy, the player even in the dressing room has a big Asian friend that he loves."  Hmmm? 

Edited by Baron99

https://www.euronews.com/2020/02/16/fc-porto-player-moussa-marega-walks-off-pitch-after-idiots-shout-racist-chants

More disgusting behaviour that led to the player walking off the pitch. 

Has to stop and not just by the club saying 'life bans for those found guilty'.

This is a massive issue and needs addressing properly. The rise of far right has given way to this and hatred spread on social media platforms just further fuels it.

So then, we eliminate racism in football, which would be the end of organisations like “Kick it Out”

That means job losses at that organisation, must be odd earning a living where the thing you hate pays your bills and if you’re successful you’re unemployed