Racism In Football

The racist chanting and Nazi salutes by Bulgarian fans were appalling and sinister.

Some of the self-righteous moralising in the media though seems to suggest that the British game is free of the scourge of racism.  It'not that long ago that Chelsea "fans" were filmed abusing and pushing a black commuter attempting to board a train in Paris.  And, racist chants are still evident at some grounds.

44 minutes ago, steved32 said:

The racist chanting and Nazi salutes by Bulgarian fans were appalling and sinister.

Some of the self-righteous moralising in the media though seems to suggest that the British game is free of the scourge of racism.  It'not that long ago that Chelsea "fans" were filmed abusing and pushing a black commuter attempting to board a train in Paris.  And, racist chants are still evident at some grounds.

There are issues within society, those Bulgarians used a football match as their platform last night, as some others would use internet forums or whatever, may I ask how many football matches you have attended in recent years and how many times you have heard and obviously reported racist chanting ?

It is not just a football problem and as a side note to all the die hard remainers who are quick to call Brexiteers racist, those sort of issues are by far more commonplace in those Eastern European/Balkan EU countries than here in the UK !!!

1 hour ago, steved32 said:

Agree. Just what i thought. After every weekend set of matches, players are abused, usually via social media and usually on a racial basis. The situation in our country politically has made this appear acceptable to some; if Boris can call them, why can`t I? etc

26 minutes ago, jemson said:

Agree. Just what i thought. After every weekend set of matches, players are abused, usually via social media and usually on a racial basis. The situation in our country politically has made this appear acceptable to some; if Boris can call them, why can`t I? etc

I disagree with your comment about our countries political situation and Boris etc, that's nothing but leftist/remainer style propaganda IMHO, there is racism within society of varying degrees simply because that's how some people are unfortunately, and if the racism is 'usually' being broadcast on social media what the hell can football do about it, that the social media giants can't ?

It is individual responsibility more than anything so my suggestion would be to identify and find the culprits then take them to court !

As far as I am aware, there is the facility at every football ground in this country to report racist chanting or abuse, that should not include the booing of players though, because there are players and teams get booed every week up and down the country, a bit of banter, rivalry and moderate hostility is still part and parcel of the atmosphere at games until the day it eventually becomes completely sterile inside the stadia.

Edited by Michael_W

Guest makapaka
19 minutes ago, Michael_W said:

I disagree with your comment about our countries political situation and Boris etc, that's nothing but leftist/remainer style propaganda IMHO, there is racism within society of varying degrees simply because that's how some people are unfortunately, and if the racism is 'usually' being broadcast on social media what the hell can football do about it, that the social media giants can't ?

It is individual responsibility more than anything so my suggestion would be to identify and find the culprits then take them to court !

As far as I am aware, there is the facility at every football ground in this country to report racist chanting or abuse, that should not include the booing of players though, because there are players and teams get booed every week up and down the country, a bit of banter, rivalry and moderate hostility is still part and parcel of the atmosphere at games until eventually it becomes completely sterile inside the stadia.

What about if they're booing them because they are black?

2 minutes ago, makapaka said:

How do you know that's why they're booing? 

Footballers should and will expect some ribbing from opposing fans but racism is a whole different level of disgusting. The whole team stood tall with each other and ensured everyone was happy to continue when they were given the option to leave. I'm glad they chose to play on and win by such a comfortable margin I think both the score line and choosing to play on was a far better way of showing their strength and unity.

The question remains as to what will happen to Bulgaria, for me a fine/slap on the wrist/sanctions on fans is not enough. 

Guest makapaka
Just now, Tomm06 said:

Footballers should and will expect some ribbing from opposing fans but racism is a whole different level of disgusting. The whole team stood tall with each other and ensured everyone was happy to continue when they were given the option to leave. I'm glad they chose to play on and win by such a comfortable margin I think both the score line and choosing to play on was a far better way of showing their strength and unity.

The question remains as to what will happen to Bulgaria, for me a fine/slap on the wrist/sanctions on fans is not enough. 

If it is targeted solely at black players.

18 minutes ago, makapaka said:

How would you or anybody be able to determine that for certain ? 

Other than I would say,  a black player being singled out without reason and having not committed anything in the game to warrant the usual booing ….. ie a bad foul or whatever ?

Some players have always had stick from opposition fans over the years for various reasons, things they said in the media, did on the pitch, transfers to other clubs, their popularity, past gesticulations to supporters etc. I do get the feeling nowadays that we will eventually sterilise the fan player interaction because of these type of incidents, which in a way will be a pity. I have over the years been to hundreds of football matches and cannot recall a black player being singled out for booing on the strength of their skin colour, all I can say other than that is, I am generally quite aware when individual players are targeted for stick !

Edited by Michael_W

Guest makapaka
1 minute ago, Michael_W said:

How would you or anybody be able to determine that for certain ? 

Other than I would say,  a black player being singled out without reason and having not committed anything in the game to warrant the usual booing ….. ie a bad foul or whatever ?

Some players have always had stick from opposition fans over the years for various reasons, things they said in the media, did on the pitch, transfers to other clubs, their popularity, past gesticulations to supporters etc. I do get the feeling nowadays that we will eventually sterilise the fan player interaction because of these type of incidents, which in a way will be a pity.

There you go - you've answered your own question.

I don't get why you feel fan/player interaction is going to be kerbed as a consequence of condemning racist abuse.

Let's take Raheem Sterling - when he left Liverpool he got loads of stick from their fans when he returned with city - loads of it.  He never complained that it was racially motivated - nor did the media portray is at such. 

Back further...….

Ditto  Sol Campbell when he moved to Arsenal.

Back further...….

Ditto  Paul Ince when he moved to Man United.

2 minutes ago, makapaka said:

There you go - you've answered your own question.

I don't get why you feel fan/player interaction is going to be kerbed as a consequence of condemning racist abuse.

Let's take Raheem Sterling - when he left Liverpool he got loads of stick from their fans when he returned with city - loads of it.  He never complained that it was racially motivated - nor did the media portray is at such. 

Back further...….

Ditto  Sol Campbell when he moved to Arsenal.

Back further...….

Ditto  Paul Ince when he moved to Man United.

Have you been to or recall any matches where players have been booed because of their skin colour ?

I think you underestimate the modern media, and social reaction, if you don't think the supporter/player interaction may eventually be sterilised, forget the past days of Campbell and Ince, we are talking about the here and now !

The Bulgarians were already on a warning from previous issues with racist chanting weren't they?

Fifa should step in and punish them properly, clearly a message needs to be sent.

5 hours ago, Tomm06 said:

I agree, kudos to Jonathan Southgate and the players, they gave the approriate response to the rabble by hammering their team.

Congrats to every single one of them, they did England proud and opponents of racism everywhere should laud their steadfastness,and praise their resolve.