Communal Charges

I'm the only leaseholder in a block of six flats and have just received an invoice for major works that was completed on 16th august 2017. The total bill is £6157.13 split 6 ways my invoice cost is £1128.81. New flooring and electrics in the hall stairs and landing areas has been fitted. It seems unfair to me that I should pay for the stair and landing flooring which I don't use as I am on the ground floor along with my neighbour. The other four flats above me and my neighbours  use  the rest. Why should I pay for something I'm not using? I do not use the stairs whilst all those above do. We all use the same entrance door/entrance hall. The invoice of £1128.81 seems disproportionate for the use of the above. Have  any forum members any suggestions?   

1 hour ago, jelly2016 said:

It seems unfair to me that I should pay for the stair and landing flooring which I don't use as I am on the ground floor along with my neighbour. 

Did you agree to splitting these one-off works six ways when you bought the lease?

My understanding was that service charges for leaseholders included contingency for such works.

What does it say on the contract you signed .Seems some thing your solicitor should have picked up 

Edited by spider1

Get your money's worth. I'd suggest running up to the second floor three times a day. It could add years to your life. 

One day some works may be needed to your flat (eg windows) and everyone else will have to chip in.  It’s the way these leases usually work.

From recent experience per block of 9 flats.

Check that the work on the bill was actually carried out. Where I live charges were added for the following but never done.

Taking off one metal entry door to fit Vinyl edging strip. We actually have 2 but neither needed to be removed.

Coning off the Vinyl flooring on the side of the stairs.

Rewiring when they used same pyro.

The LED lights were charged at a hyper inflated price of £100 each when the actual catalogue price is £35 + VAT

A new mini consumer unit was installed also at an over inflated charge of £110 when the catalogue price is £45 + VAT.

Additional bill on top of that for labour in both cases of rewiring, also preparing floor and fitting Vinyl with barrier mat.

£200 charge for repainting around 6 lights that were replaced after it had just been redecorated the year before.

The above was done but none of the work was essential and just cosmetic.

So check, get some advice and also contact the leaseholder team and challenge the costs. BTW I assume it is Council property.

Its how communal charges work! You'll also contribute equally to a new roof at some point even though the leaks probably wont affect you

Edited by lil-minx92