Doncaster To Sheffield Marathon

I am trying to find details of the route used for the Doncaster to Sheffield marathon last run in 1969

I believe the finish was on Furnival  Road adjacent to the approach road to the old station

The route passed across the junction of Upwell Street and Brightside Lane

I have no other details ! 

Edited by Runningman
Reference to incorrect road name i.e. Furnival, not Effingham

1 hour ago, Runningman said:

I am trying to find details of the route used for the Doncaster to Sheffield marathon last run in 1969

I believe the finish was on Effingham Road adjacent to the approach road to the old station

The route passed across the junction of Upwell Street and Brightside Lane

I have no other details ! 

Presumably the A630 from Doncaster via Balby, Warmsworth, Conisborough, Hooton Roberts, Thrybergh and Rotherham - basically the Doncaster / Sheffield bus route.

Did they really run marathons back then outside the Olympics and other major games? Can't remember any myself.

3 hours ago, Longcol said:

Presumably the A630 from Doncaster via Balby, Warmsworth, Conisborough, Hooton Roberts, Thrybergh and Rotherham - basically the Doncaster / Sheffield bus route.

Did they really run marathons back then outside the Olympics and other major games? Can't remember any myself.

Hi Longcol

Don't want to presume anything without some hard facts !

I do believe there were plenty of Marathons outside the Olympics and other major games, but support was minimal and press coverage poor !

Was it run over the marathon distance or a road race between towns like the Doncaster / Rotherham race mentioned a number of times on the Rotherham Harriers website https://rotherhamharriers.org/history/keydates.htm

Given that was often won in just over an hour it can't have been town centre to town centre - about 13 miles.

Are you sure Doncaster / Sheffield was run in 1969?  As a sports mad teenager recently moved from Doncaster to Sheffield I'm sure I'd have wanted to watch it!

12 hours ago, Longcol said:

Was it run over the marathon distance or a road race between towns like the Doncaster / Rotherham race mentioned a number of times on the Rotherham Harriers website https://rotherhamharriers.org/history/keydates.htm

Given that was often won in just over an hour it can't have been town centre to town centre - about 13 miles.

Are you sure Doncaster / Sheffield was run in 1969?  As a sports mad teenager recently moved from Doncaster to Sheffield I'm sure I'd have wanted to watch it!

Good morning Longcol.  You are asking me questions that I eventually hope to have the answers for !

The date of 1969 is one I have seen, could be right, could be wrong !

Remember in years gone by, there wasn't too many competing in Marathons and press coverage was minimal

When I find the information I require, then will post on here

I am currently awaiting a reply from a guy who once ran the Doncaster to Sheffield event

Watch this space ! 

3 hours ago, Runningman said:

Good morning Longcol.  You are asking me questions that I eventually hope to have the answers for !

The date of 1969 is one I have seen, could be right, could be wrong !

Remember in years gone by, there wasn't too many competing in Marathons and press coverage was minimal

When I find the information I require, then will post on here

I am currently awaiting a reply from a guy who once ran the Doncaster to Sheffield event

Watch this space ! 

Thank you.

I will look forward with interest.

4 hours ago, LOLBROO said:

recently found on't interweb

http://www.sheffieldmarathon.com/info/history/

Good evening LOLBROO and thanks

Gathering info bit by bit

Hi Longcol if you are following this post.

I was wrong with the 1969 date

Reading the above article states the race was last run in 1961

26 minutes ago, Runningman said:

Good evening LOLBROO and thanks

Gathering info bit by bit

Hi Longcol if you are following this post.

I was wrong with the 1969 date

Reading the above article states the race was last run in 1961

Yes - pretty sure I'd have heard about it in 69 - I was too young in 61.

Am surprised there is no mention of Sheffield - Doncaster Marathon on the Rotherham Harriers website I linked to. They seem to have been up for most races of this nature.

Good luck with your contact!

Edit - just found this - guy from Matlock ran the Doncaster / Sheffield race in 61.

https://www.matlockac.org.uk/index.php/our-club/34-pers-int/152-mememe-footprint-of-a-runner-no-2-brian-howitt-age-78

Edited by Longcol

23 hours ago, Longcol said:

Yes - pretty sure I'd have heard about it in 69 - I was too young in 61.

Am surprised there is no mention of Sheffield - Doncaster Marathon on the Rotherham Harriers website I linked to. They seem to have been up for most races of this nature.

Good luck with your contact!

Edit - just found this - guy from Matlock ran the Doncaster / Sheffield race in 61.

https://www.matlockac.org.uk/index.php/our-club/34-pers-int/152-mememe-footprint-of-a-runner-no-2-brian-howitt-age-78

Hi again Longcol and thanks for that

Will try and contact Brian Howitt

Brian contacted me and gave some more info

Thanks again Longcol

11 hours ago, Runningman said:

Brian contacted me and gave some more info

Thanks again Longcol

no probs - all the best with your quest.