Angela Smith

4 hours ago, smiggs said:

I wouldn't fully rule out Lib Dems in the next General Election, they won 4 of the 6 council wards here in 2019 so I reckon if the Tory vote splits to Brexit Party they have a good chance of finishing second and an outside chance of winning the constituency, it is debatable whether Angela Smith would actually help them though.

The Lib Dems have zero chance of winning up here , hence why Smith has done a runner .

2 hours ago, dave_the_m said:

An MP is supposed to represent the interests of their constituents according to their best judgement and conscience. Sometimes this means voting against their own party. If doing this meant instant dismissal as an MP,  then parliament would soon become a collection of people voting purely the way their leader tells them at all times, regardless of whether it a bad idea or not.

We voted leave up here , yet Angela Smith has  stuck two fingers up to us and shown utter contempt for her constituents wishes and tried to block Brexit. She dosnt represent us up here what so ever.

3 hours ago, apelike said:

Oh I know but its about time the parliamentary process allows that to happen so that they can then face the same fate in parliament as anybody else that changes. I think the consensus with the voters is they would like that or at least allow them to put forward a vote of no confidence in them by having the current rules amended. BTW who employs them?

Quite rightly, nobody "employs" MP's, they are office holders.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/mps_contract_of_employment

Bit more detail here;

https://www.parliament.uk/site-information/foi/foi-and-eir/commons-foi-disclosures/members-of-the-house-of-commons-and-members-staff/members-employment-attendance-and-expenses-2015-/

56 minutes ago, Penistone999 said:

The Lib Dems have zero chance of winning up here , hence why Smith has done a runner .

We voted leave up here , yet Angela Smith has  stuck two fingers up to us and shown utter contempt for her constituents wishes and tried to block Brexit. She dosnt represent us up here what so ever.

This volatile rant is typical of the hyperboli that has so disfigured our public life recently.

Smith has not "stuck two fingers up at anyone" she has not shown "utter contempt" for anyone.

And 

Who is "us up here" and by what right do you speak for them.

She was elected to by the people of Peniston and Stocksbridge to be their representative not their delegate.

Do you know the difference?

44 minutes ago, Flanker7 said:

This volatile rant is typical of the hyperboli that has so disfigured our public life recently.

Smith has not "stuck two fingers up at anyone" she has not shown "utter contempt" for anyone.

And 

Who is "us up here" and by what right do you speak for them.

She was elected to by the people of Peniston and Stocksbridge to be their representative not their delegate.

Do you know the difference?

As our REPRESENTATIVE  she is not representing our views. We voted leave up here ,.

57 minutes ago, Penistone999 said:

As our REPRESENTATIVE  she is not representing our views. We voted leave up here ,.

You voted to leave in June 2016. A year later, in June 2017, she was re-elected as MP for Penistone and Stocksbridge with an increased share of the vote.

Edited by horribleblob
qualification

The 'increased share of the vote' would have been for the Labour Party, not her.

9 minutes ago, mickf said:

The 'increased share of the vote' would have been for the Labour Party, not her.

Looking at  Penistone999's pigeon avatar, I would guess that the Labour Party wouldn't represent his views either, let alone Angela Smith.

1 hour ago, horribleblob said:

Looking at  Penistone999's pigeon avatar, I would guess that the Labour Party wouldn't represent his views either, let alone Angela Smith.

I thought it was an ex-parrot...................

2 hours ago, horribleblob said:

You voted to leave in June 2016. A year later, in June 2017, she was re-elected as MP for Penistone and Stocksbridge with an increased share of the vote.

And at the next election will abandon those voters and go to Altrincham and Sale West in the hope of keeping herself in as an MP but this time for the Lib/Dems.

2 minutes ago, Longcol said:

I thought it was an ex-parrot...................

Nah, they are all blue..... :D

Edited by apelike

5 hours ago, Penistone999 said:

Best answer

You seem to have a problem with the word 'representative' in the context of our MP's. Its nuanced, but I'm guessing that you think you should have the 'bold' (below) type of person in Parliament. . . .  . . . . .but you don't.

"What is the difference between a delegate and a representative?"

Depending on the context, those terms can mean the same thing, or something very different. As a rule, it is assumed that "representatives" have general power to act in place of a designated group, including voting, in their stead, and his (or her) opinions are said to be representative enough to be "representative" of their opinions. More often, it is common for delegates to be assigned a specifc task, or area of expertise, to speak about, generally without voting."

There's lots more here but the above is the crux of it.

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100412022951AAThqa3&guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZWNvc2lhLm9yZy8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAIZXcaJitsZs2ix0X7RALOYwMWofhy1n_cxKVT7XU3EY-Zdf0qjwApjWBPcknCAg6Wq8C-Gj4I-vd6SbtJIOD4aujYEC28hFlzXImVOT6fh25OtcKB8fUes6Y2N0lM1ODzSr-J1FxhMi56iekT_SeKJsWp9iApmufJZVjqUKj3ww

A bit of a dilemma then because nearly 40% of the constituency  voted remain

and now as far as I can see the Labour party themselves seem to be moving towards "leave" so how will the 60% (assuming the same proportion still want Brexit which may not now be the case as they see the implications) vote next time - Brexit party?

18 hours ago, Penistone999 said:

You may have done, others didn’t.

I believe that since 2016 the majority of Stocksbridge and Penistone constituents wish to remain in the EU.