Angela Smith

6 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

You may have done, others didn’t.

I believe that since 2016 the majority of Stocksbridge and Penistone constituents wish to remain in the EU.

If anything peoples views up here have hardened even more for Leaving . 

Just now, Penistone999 said:

When I lived up there (67 - 77) I'm not sure of they wanted to be part of the UK, or even Yorkshire, never mind Europe.

1 hour ago, amnicoll said:

A bit of a dilemma then because nearly 40% of the constituency  voted remain

and now as far as I can see the Labour party themselves seem to be moving towards "leave" so how will the 60% (assuming the same proportion still want Brexit which may not now be the case as they see the implications) vote next time - Brexit party?

I honestly believe the Brexit party has a good chance of getting in up here after Smith's antics. People up here are angry snd feel they have been ignored by our MP. 

9 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

You may have done, others didn’t.

I believe that since 2016 the majority of Stocksbridge and Penistone constituents wish to remain in the EU.

what is your source for this

2 minutes ago, Penistone999 said:

Yes, Leave supporters may have hardened their views but so have remain supporters who outnumber them.

Just now, Top Cats Hat said:

Yes, Leave supporters may have hardened their views but so have remain supporters who outnumber them.

Not up here they dont. We had just over 60% leave vote. 

1 minute ago, amnicoll said:

what is your source for this

A discussion on here about the time when Angela Smith resigned from the Labour Party and a number of local polling showed that Remain was a slight majority at the time. That was about a year ago so that majority may be even greater now.

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

A discussion on here about the time when Angela Smith resigned from the Labour Party and a number of local polling showed that Remain was a slight majority at the time. That was about a year ago so that majority may be even greater now.

or even a minority now

1 minute ago, LOLBROO said:

or even a minority now

Highly unlikely given the shift from Leave to Remain has only gone in one direction since the day after the referendum in 2016.

It is a real shame that Angela Smith is leaving P&S. She was an excellent local MP and a strong remainer which is what the constituency has turned to now. But I understand her leaving as she would have made it more likely that Tory or BXP would be voted in. I am slightly concerned that Lib Dems are still treating P&S as a target seat but hopefully we are all going to tactically vote Labour to retain the seat. 

#Remain 

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Highly unlikely given the shift from Leave to Remain has only gone in one direction since the day after the referendum in 2016.

A shift of 4% max is not much.

Some facts on the 2017 election results from P&S ward .. not polls!

Angela Smith, Labour = 22,807 votes, Swing +3.8%

Nicola Wilson, Conservative = 21,485, Swing +15.5%

John Booker, UKI = 3,453, Swing -16%

penny Baker, LIB = 2,042, Swing - 2.2%

The trend in the above swing shows that the Conservatives have gained most and it would probably be much higher now if a GE was called anytime soon.

It would take a very big swing for it to reverse the referendum results in that ward from the 60.65% leave got.

Edited by apelike

31 minutes ago, apelike said:

A shift of 4% max is not much.

From +4% to -10% is a 14% shift.