Angela Smith

2 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

As stated, ANY MP who who leaves the Party they were elected to represent should face a mandatory by election immediately.

Angel1.

Agreed . ................

What about if you get thrown out of the party?

You know what I'm getting at.............

2 hours ago, Flanker7 said:

What about if you get thrown out of the party?

You know what I'm getting at.............

If you get thrown out then it should be treated just like being sacked from any other job. Take the P45 and go!

9 hours ago, apelike said:

If you get thrown out then it should be treated just like being sacked from any other job. Take the P45 and go!

MP's aren't employees of a party (whether Lab, Con, LibDem etc).

22 hours ago, Colin Foster said:

Agreed. She knows full well she's no chance of holding the seat as a Lib Dem and she knew when she defected she wasn't representing the wishes of the constituents who voted for her.

I wouldn't fully rule out Lib Dems in the next General Election, they won 4 of the 6 council wards here in 2019 so I reckon if the Tory vote splits to Brexit Party they have a good chance of finishing second and an outside chance of winning the constituency, it is debatable whether Angela Smith would actually help them though.

I think we need more MPs who will stand up for what the believe and not simply be lobby fodder and voting for whatever they are told by their party.

lets not forget there will be many in the constituency who support her actions even if the idea of creating a new party was somewhat ill thought out

2 hours ago, Longcol said:

MP's aren't employees of a party (whether Lab, Con, LibDem etc).

Oh I know but its about time the parliamentary process allows that to happen so that they can then face the same fate in parliament as anybody else that changes. I think the consensus with the voters is they would like that or at least allow them to put forward a vote of no confidence in them by having the current rules amended. BTW who employs them?

Edited by apelike

An MP is supposed to represent the interests of their constituents according to their best judgement and conscience. Sometimes this means voting against their own party. If doing this meant instant dismissal as an MP,  then parliament would soon become a collection of people voting purely the way their leader tells them at all times, regardless of whether it a bad idea or not.

9 minutes ago, dave_the_m said:

An MP is supposed to represent the interests of their constituents according to their best judgement and conscience. Sometimes this means voting against their own party. If doing this meant instant dismissal as an MP,  then parliament would soon become a collection of people voting purely the way their leader tells them at all times, regardless of whether it a bad idea or not.

I don't think people are suggesting it should happen every time they vote against their party only that it happens if they switch allegiance and resign from their party to join another. Dont forget that not all MP's votes are whipped and its only if they vote against the whip that they may face sanctions from their own party. Rightly so, anMP should represent it constituents wishes as it was those constituents that got them elected in the first place so it should also be up to the constituents to be able to put forward a motion of no confidence in that MP and force a by-election. At the moment that can only be done for a very limited set of circumstances which is the bit that needs change.

2 minutes ago, apelike said:

I don't think people are suggesting it should happen every time they vote against their party only that it happens if they switch allegiance and resign from their party to join another.

It’s interesting that your view on a second referendum is to leave the EU then consider another referendum in the future, but on an MP changing their mind you wand a by election immediately rather than letting the MP serve out their term then face the electorate at the next General Election.

28 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

It’s interesting that your view on a second referendum is to leave the EU then consider another referendum in the future, but on an MP changing their mind you wand a by election immediately rather than letting the MP serve out their term then face the electorate at the next General Election.

In case you have not realised, referendums are held for the whole of the UK with a binary question and is nothing like a GE which is held on party politics and individual constituency areas (seats). 

If an MP dies or resigns then a by-election is normally held ASAP.

Edited by apelike