Angela Smith

Angela Smith will not be standing for re-election in her current seat. She will be standing in Altrincham, let's hope the people there see sense and send this two faced women packing.

2 hours ago, chris101 said:

Angela Smith will not be standing for re-election in her current seat. She will be standing in Altrincham, let's hope the people there see sense and send this two faced women packing.

Two faced?

The only thing I would say is it is a pity that she does not stand for her old constituency and allow the voters to decide if they back her and believe she has been a good constituency MP or not rather than running across the Pennines

Agreed.  I'm glad to see the back of her.  She's running away before she gets kicked out here. (Penistone and Stocksbridge).

Altrincham is an interesting choice, with no guarantee of winning. The Conservatives held this at the 2017 election polling 26000+ votes. Labour were second with 20000+ and the Liberals were way behind, with 4000+ votes.

Smith will be hoping to attract 'Remain' voters as this area - Altrincham and Sale West -  voted  to 'remain' in the Referendum.   (61.41%)        I hope she loses. 

MP's like her annoy me, as soon as they declare they no longer want to be with a party be it Labour or Conservatives and move to another there should be a by election. If people voted for a Conservative or Labour candidate to be their MP they are not going to be happy if they go to the Lib Dems, if they wanted a Lib Dem MP they would have voted for one. These people should not be allowed to switch their allegiance to another party and still get paid when they are no longer representing the people who voted for them.

24 minutes ago, iansheff said:

MP's like her annoy me, as soon as they declare they no longer want to be with a party be it Labour or Conservatives and move to another there should be a by election. If people voted for a Conservative or Labour candidate to be their MP they are not going to be happy if they go to the Lib Dems, if they wanted a Lib Dem MP they would have voted for one. These people should not be allowed to switch their allegiance to another party and still get paid when they are no longer representing the people who voted for them.

I agree but you will soon get others on here telling you that you vote for the person and not the party despite the fact that its usual for a political party to forward and sponsor the candidates. With all these court challenges lately perhaps that point should also be challenged as well, or at least be debated on rather than just being shoved under the carpet.

17 minutes ago, apelike said:

With all these court challenges lately perhaps that point should also be challenged as well, or at least be debated on rather than just being shoved under the carpet.

If, as you seem to be suggesting, you vote for a party not an individual, should a party then remove an MP who swaps allegiance and replace them with another party member who nobody voted for? 

50 minutes ago, iansheff said:

Agreed. She knows full well she's no chance of holding the seat as a Lib Dem and she knew when she defected she wasn't representing the wishes of the constituents who voted for her.

14 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

If, as you seem to be suggesting, you vote for a party not an individual, should a party then remove an MP who swaps allegiance and replace them with another party member who nobody voted for? 

I think you have completely misunderstood and misrepresented my post as I have not suggested people vote for a party only that its usual for a party to put up and sponsor a candidate that represents the party. As iansheff was putting forward the idea that any MP that switches alliance mid term should then have to be subject to a by-election. Ms Smith has change for Labour to Change UK and when that bombed changed again to Lib/Dem. It seems in this case her interests are for herself remaining as an MP.

Edited by apelike

3 hours ago, amnicoll said:

The only thing I would say is it is a pity that she does not stand for her old constituency and allow the voters to decide if they back her and believe she has been a good constituency MP or not rather than running across the Pennines

She is my MP , and hell will freeze over before she got re- elected up here..she is hated even by Labour voters up here. Good riddence .

I would bet she doesn't stand a chance,  Graham Brady, Tory,  has had this safe seat ever since his prececessor Montgomery retired over two decades ago,  and he is very popular, and chairman of the '22' Committee.

Edited by cressida

As stated, ANY MP who who leaves the Party they were elected to represent should face a mandatory by election immediately.

Angel1.